This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.6519 / 51°39'6"N
Longitude: -1.0376 / 1°2'15"W
OS Eastings: 466676
OS Northings: 195227
OS Grid: SU666952
Mapcode National: GBR B1X.8HB
Mapcode Global: VHCYB.YRT0
Entry Name: Cuxham Church Hall
Listing Date: 24 September 1999
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1113182
English Heritage Legacy ID: 477607
Location: Cuxham with Easington, South Oxfordshire, Oxfordshire, OX49
District: South Oxfordshire
Civil Parish: Cuxham with Easington
Traditional County: Oxfordshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Oxfordshire
Church of England Parish: Cuxham
Church of England Diocese: Oxford
SU 6695 CUXHAM WITH EASTINGHAM CUXHAM
1696/12/10004 Cuxham Church Hall
National school, now church/village hall. Circa 1850, additions of 1911 and 1960s. Red brick with blue headers in Flemish bond; biscuit-coloured brick dressings. Terracotta spade-shaped tiles and plain tiles to roofs. Brick chimneys. Single storey. Three bays with central gabled porch; 4th bay added on left 1911; two flat-roofed additions to rear 19605. Plinth. Porch has chamfered pointed-arched entrance; terracotta kneelers, verges and finial; plain-tile roof; and tile floor. Windows of paired trefoil-headed lights with iron saddle bars and diagonally-leaded glazing. Spade-shaped tiles and roll-moulded ridge to original; plain tiles to extension. Returns each have a similar window of 3 stepped lights with transom and central casement; and decorative iron grille to gable.
REAR: two external stacks, that on right added, with dentilled cornices and diagonally-set flues.
INTERIOR: bricked-up rear-wall fireplace at centre of original part; added bolection-moulded fireplace. Corbelled roof trusses. The roof members of the original part (principal rafters, common rafters, purlins and ridge-piece) are formed of flat iron bars sandwiched by terracotta blocks, and the spade-shaped tiles are bedded onto plain tiles. Former partition divided the building into 2 + 2 bays, and the continuation of this is visible in the roof space, comprising a pointed-arched wooden window with mullions and transom.
A well-preserved mid-C19 national school with an unusual form of roof construction. Source
leaflet on Cuxham Village Hall.
Listing NGR: SU6667295229
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings