This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.5651 / 51°33'54"N
Longitude: -0.1822 / 0°10'55"W
OS Eastings: 526096
OS Northings: 186701
OS Grid: TQ260867
Mapcode National: GBR D0.0RF
Mapcode Global: VHGQK.SXKK
Entry Name: The Hill Garden Cruciform Pergola
Listing Date: 14 December 1978
Last Amended: 11 January 1999
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1113202
English Heritage Legacy ID: 477627
Location: Camden, London, NW3
Electoral Ward/Division: Hampstead Town
Built-Up Area: Camden
Traditional County: Middlesex
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Greater London
Church of England Parish: Christ Church Hampstead
Church of England Diocese: London
TQ2686NW NORTH END WAY
798-1/8/1225 The Hill Garden cruciform pergola
(Formerly Listed as:
NORTH END WAY
Cruciform pergola in Hill Garden at
4 colonnaded pergolas, aligned westwards on Inverforth House
(qv), and forming a cross plan on the central axis. Western
arm leads to the Bridge (qv), short eastern stub to the Formal
Pond (qv) and southern arm links to Southern Pergola (qv).
c1906-10. By Thomas H Mawson as part of a garden scheme for
Lord Leverhulme at The Hill (now Inverforth House). This part
of the garden is now in separate ownership to the house; for
the house garden features see under Inverforth House, North
End Way entries. Paired and single Doric columns of Portland
stone carrying a timber pergola superstructure imitating a
Doric entablature. Brick pavement with stone balustrading.
North and south arms raised on western side over brick terrace
retaining walls forming continuous outbuildings with 3-light
square headed windows having concrete lintels. Western arm
similarly raised to cover low ground to bridge; this arm
terminated in a conservatory before Mawsons 1912 extensions.
HISTORICAL NOTE: the terraces were constructed using spoil
from the Hampstead Tube excavation. Excellent views. The
garden was divided when the house became a hospital; this part
of the garden is open to the public.
Listing NGR: TQ2609686701
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings