This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.5484 / 51°32'54"N
Longitude: -0.1338 / 0°8'1"W
OS Eastings: 529497
OS Northings: 184930
OS Grid: TQ294849
Mapcode National: GBR FQ.0Y8
Mapcode Global: VHGQS.MBMT
Entry Name: Church of St Luke with St Paul
Listing Date: 10 June 1954
Last Amended: 11 January 1999
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1113230
English Heritage Legacy ID: 477680
Location: Camden, London, NW5
Electoral Ward/Division: Kentish Town
Built-Up Area: Camden
Traditional County: Middlesex
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Greater London
Church of England Parish: Oseney Crecent St Luke
Church of England Diocese: London
TQ2984NW OSENEY CRESCENT
798-1/55/1252 Church of St Luke with St Paul
(Formerly Listed as:
Church of St Luke with St Paul)
Church. c1867-1869. By Basil Champneys. Red brick with stone
dressings. Tiled roof.
STYLE: early English detail with North German influenced
PLAN/EXTERIOR: nave of 4 bays with narrow lean-to aisles, two
porches, chancel with tower above and south chapel, north
organ chamber; buttressed polygonal apse with vestry.
Buttressed tower at crossing with saddleback roof a
distinctive landmark. Gabled west end with 3 lancets and plate
tracery rose window. Paired pointed windows to aisles, having
a continuous stone band at impost level, and clerestory. Apse
with plate tracery; tower with 3 arcaded openings to belfry
and plate tracery round opening above on each face.
INTERIOR: nave arcades with cylindrical pillars having moulded
bases and capitals carrying moulded arches. Between the arches
shafts on corbels rise to the wall plates and carry the
principal roof timbers. The roof is ceiled with panels of
timber boarding divided by moulded ribs. The clerestory
windows are set within plain reveals with central detached
shaft, and the west windows are united into one composition by
a shafted arch. Floor paved with red and black tiles; all the
wall surfaces are of exposed red brick with one band of stone
in the aisles and another in the gallery, both at the level of
the springing of the window arches. Richer east end. Crossing
three steps above the nave, has tall arch to east and west
with a plain chamfered outer order and inner moulded order
supported on paired colonnettes with moulded capitals and
bases. The crossing and sanctuary with brick vaults carried on
moulded ribs and shafts in the angles, circular bellway in
centre of stone. Upper walls enriched by blind arcading. South
chapel with door to sacristy, enriched with ironwork
decoration, chevron painting to roof.
Fittings: sanctuary with reredos up six more steps, floor
paved in medieval-style decorative tiles. Credence of
alabaster under trefoiled arch; sedilia in south wall stepping
up towards the east with small vaults within triangular
arches. Reredos added c1932. Lectern a brass eagle of 1882
from St Paul's Camden Square. Octagonal font with oak cover.
Oak pews in nave. Willis organ, 1893.
Stained glass: 3 east windows of 1868 designed by H Holliday
for Heaton, Butler and Bayne depicting St Paul and St Mary;
Christ Arising, Christ Ascending and The Creation; St Mary
Magdalene and St Luke. Chancel clerestory windows of 1895.
Aisles contain a series depicting the twelve apostles, all
c1880-90 by Heaton, Butler and Bayne. The south clerestory has
four windows by William Morris and Company, 1910, stored
elsewhere in the building when inspected in 1994; the designs
of Sts Alphege and Edward the Confessor taken from figures by
Burne-Jones and Sts Thomas of Canterbury and Hugh of Lincoln
from Henry Dearle, the glass painters were Glasby and Burrows.
West window of the Archangels Gabriel, Michael and Raphael,
under circular composition depicting Angels with Musical
Instruments adoring the Lamb of God; all by Heaton, Butler and
Bayne 1891. Sacristy east window of the Annunciation done in
silver stain, c1880. Willis organ of 1893.
HISTORICAL NOTE: St Luke's was paid for by the Midland Railway
to replace the original St Luke's on the Euston Road,
destroyed by their compulsory clearances to lay new lines.
This is the first of few churches by the noted Queen Anne
architect Basil Champneys; he was commissioned by his father,
the Revd. WW Champneys, vicar of St Pancras parish - not
without some acrimony from the architect of the previous St
(Survey of London: Vol. XXIV, King's Cross Neighbourhood,
Parish of St Pancras IV: London: -1952: 143).
Listing NGR: TQ2949784930
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings