This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.5402 / 51°32'24"N
Longitude: -0.1476 / 0°8'51"W
OS Eastings: 528560
OS Northings: 183989
OS Grid: TQ285839
Mapcode National: GBR C2.02
Mapcode Global: VHGQS.DK95
Entry Name: 24, 26 AND 28, OVAL ROAD (See details for further address information)
Listing Date: 6 July 1981
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1113236
English Heritage Legacy ID: 477686
Location: Camden, London, NW1
Electoral Ward/Division: Camden Town with Primrose Hill
Built-Up Area: Camden
Traditional County: Middlesex
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Greater London
Church of England Parish: St Pancras Old Church
Church of England Diocese: London
TQ2883NE JAMESTOWN ROAD
798-1/76/1258 Nos.38-46 (Even)
See under: Nos.24, 26 AND 28 OVAL ROAD.
TQ2883NE OVAL ROAD
798-1/76/1258 (East side)
06/07/81 Nos.24, 26 AND 28
Formerly known as: Gilbey House OVAL ROAD.
Includes: Nos.38-46 JAMESTOWN ROAD.
Factory, store and offices. 1894 by William Hucks with
addition of 1937 by Mendelsohn and Chermayeff; for wine
importers and gin distillers Gilbey's.
Original block to south-east: of concrete reinforced with hoop
iron. Exterior rendered; channelled rustication to ground
floor and channelled pilaster strips rising from 1st to 4th
floor. 5 storeys plus attic and basement. 10 bays to Jamestown
Road. Plain, square-headed entrances to ground floor including
2 vehicle entrances to left. Square-headed, recessed metal
framed windows, most with small panes. Subsidiary cornice
above 3rd floor, main cornice above 4th floor. INTERIOR: not
inspected. HISTORICAL NOTE: an early example of reinforced
1937 block: of reinforced concrete frame filled with concrete
panels; ground floor brown glazed tiles, upper floors
rendered. Corner site; 7 storeys, with 6 bays to Oval Road and
7 bays to slightly concave Jamestown Road facade.
International Modern idiom. Recessed main entrance to left of
Oval Road facade with full height projecting square-sided bay
window above with floor to ceiling glazing (emphasising the
position of executive offices). Other windows form horizontal
strips separated by vertical mullions. Teak 2-light window
frames, plate glass. To Jamestown Road, the 6th floor rooms
are recessed to incorporate a loggia with cast-iron railings.
Projecting cornice above 6th floor. INTERIOR: not inspected.
HISTORICAL NOTE: the building incorporates technical
innovations by consulting engineer Felix Samuely, e.g. the
foundations are floated on cork insulation to protect the wine
from the vibration of nearby trains. Air conditioning too was
incorporated. Until recent years known as Gilbey House.
Gilbey's, formed in 1857, by 1914 occupied 20 acres in Camden.
Listing NGR: TQ2856083989
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings