This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.5395 / 51°32'22"N
Longitude: -0.1474 / 0°8'50"W
OS Eastings: 528580
OS Northings: 183916
OS Grid: TQ285839
Mapcode National: GBR C2.29
Mapcode Global: VHGQS.DKGN
Entry Name: Piano Factory Building
Listing Date: 23 May 1989
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1113237
English Heritage Legacy ID: 477687
Location: Camden, London, NW1
Electoral Ward/Division: Camden Town with Primrose Hill
Built-Up Area: Camden
Traditional County: Middlesex
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Greater London
Church of England Parish: St Pancras Old Church
Church of England Diocese: London
TQ2883NE OVAL ROAD
798-1/76/1259 (East side)
23/05/89 Piano Factory Building
Piano factory, now offices. 1852. By Thomas and William Piper.
For piano manufacturers Messrs Collard and Collard. English
bond yellow stock brick; roof not visible. Circular plan.
EXTERIOR: 5 storeys. 22 bays, each bay divided by raised
pilaster continued to moulded stucco entablature and gablet
projecting beyond splayed stucco cornice. Stucco pilasters
flank segmental-arched 1st floor doorway. Segmental brick
arches over wood and iron casements. Rectangular addition,
dating from before 1868 and housing staircase to rear.
INTERIOR: cast-iron columns and beams to vaulted brick
ceilings; cast-iron columns, each with moulded plinth and
capital, surround blocked-in central well; iron king post
trusses radiate from central well; addition houses open-well
staircase with simple iron balustrade and cantilevered stone
treads, and has stone flag flooring.
HISTORICAL NOTE: the open well was used for moving the pianos
from floor to floor, with a former hoist, during the
manufacturing process. The lowest floor was used for drying,
the next for upright pianos, the second floor for cleaning,
the third for polishing the cases and those above for "belly"
manufacture and finishing off. Collard and Collard were the
oldest of the well-known piano manufacturing firms of the St
Pancras area, having patented a form of upright "square" piano
in 1811. This building replaced a similarly shaped one which
was destroyed by fire a year after it was built in 1851.
Listing NGR: TQ2858083916
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings