This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.5323 / 51°31'56"N
Longitude: -0.1255 / 0°7'31"W
OS Eastings: 530114
OS Northings: 183152
OS Grid: TQ301831
Mapcode National: GBR H4.ZW
Mapcode Global: VHGQS.SR06
Entry Name: 26, Pancras Road
Listing Date: 30 January 1976
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1113243
English Heritage Legacy ID: 477693
Location: Camden, London, N1C
Electoral Ward/Division: St Pancras and Somers Town
Built-Up Area: Camden
Traditional County: Middlesex
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Greater London
Church of England Parish: St Pancras Old Church
Church of England Diocese: London
TQ3083SW PANCRAS ROAD
798-1/85/1265 (East side)
Gymnasium and library, now offices & gymnasium. 1864-65. By
Edward Gruning. For the German Gymnastic Society. Built by
Piper and Wheeler. Multi-coloured stock brick. Rectangular
plan with narrow, slightly projecting entrance frontage to
EXTERIOR: frontage 3 storeys 1 window. Stucco door surround of
pilasters supporting a dentil entablature with segmental
pediment. Round-arched doorway pilaster jambs supporting an
architrave with keystone; fanlight and C20 panelled doors with
small lights. 1st floor, recessed 4-pane sash with stuccoed
lintel with mask; 2nd floor, round-arched 4-pane sash with
stuccoed head. Moulded brick cornice and blocking course.
North and south elevations with brick pilasters dividing bays
(rectangular windows), 1st floor brick bands and deep Lombard
frieze at eaves level; brick gables. Hipped roof with
continuous lantern along the ridge. Gabled east elevation with
gabled brick porch, 5 pointed arch windows above which an
oculus, very deep Lombard frieze and enriched brick cornice.
To the left, a staircase tower with narrow lights (those at
base bricked up) and Lombard frieze.
INTERIOR: narrow entrance hall with Imperial stair (2 flights
then 1) the entire width of the hall. Gymnasium a single cell
subdivided into nave and aisles by 2 storeys of cast-iron
piers with lush early English foliage capitals. The piers
support arched, laminated wood roof trusses some 20m wide, as
experimented with but replaced at King's Cross Station, Euston
Road (qv). A second floor has been inserted at gallery level
providing office accommodation.
An important early example of the use of laminated timber to
give broad spans.
Listing NGR: TQ3011483152
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings