This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 50.372 / 50°22'19"N
Longitude: -4.1598 / 4°9'35"W
OS Eastings: 246506
OS Northings: 54687
OS Grid: SX465546
Mapcode National: GBR R7G.24
Mapcode Global: FRA 2851.WSC
Entry Name: Former Royal Naval Hospital Pavilion North of Inner Gates (Pay Office)
Listing Date: 1 May 1975
Last Amended: 9 November 1998
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1113292
English Heritage Legacy ID: 473508
Location: Plymouth, PL1
County: City of Plymouth
Electoral Ward/Division: St Peter and the Waterfront
Built-Up Area: Plymouth
Traditional County: Devon
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Devon
Church of England Parish: Plymouth St Peter and the Holy Apostles
Church of England Diocese: Exeter
SX4654NE HIGH STREET, Stonehouse
740-1/56/811 (North side)
01/05/75 Former Royal Naval Hospital:
Pavilion north of Inner Gates (Pay
(Formerly Listed as:
HIGH STREET, Stonehouse
Royal Naval Hospital: Pay Office and
Agent's office and entrance lodge, later pay office at former
Naval Hospital. Dated 1765, designed by Alexander Rovehead for
the Navy Board. Plymouth limestone rubble with limestone
dressings including rusticated quoins; dry slate pyramidal
mansard roof behind coped parapet on band with ball finials,
surmounted by a tall stuccoed stack with moulded entablature;
2 mansard dormers to front. Small square plan.
Single storey plus attic; symmetrical 3-bay front facing the
matching Admiral's Office, now No.14 The Square (qv) which is
similar. An arcade of 3 round arches with imposts contain C19
vertical-glazed fanlights over 2-light window to centre and
glazed and panelled doors plus sidelights to other arches.
Flat-headed openings to east side. West side has a lead hopper
dated 1765 and inscribed GR.
INTERIOR: not inspected.
HISTORY: identical in design to the pavilion to the south
(qv), flanking the inner gates. Housed the agent's office and
porter's lodge in 1784 and receiving and fumigating rooms in
1800, later becoming the pay office. Part of an outstanding
and complete military hospital complex.
(Morrison K: Royal Naval Hospital, Stonehouse: Cambridge:
Listing NGR: SX4650654687
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings