History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

War Memorial and Steps in Front of Chesterfield Town Hall

A Grade II Listed Building in Chesterfield, Derbyshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 53.2363 / 53°14'10"N

Longitude: -1.4325 / 1°25'56"W

OS Eastings: 437977

OS Northings: 371180

OS Grid: SK379711

Mapcode National: GBR 697.4NC

Mapcode Global: WHDF8.ZX1C

Entry Name: War Memorial and Steps in Front of Chesterfield Town Hall

Listing Date: 30 March 1999

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1113306

English Heritage Legacy ID: 473474

Location: Chesterfield, Derbyshire, S40

County: Derbyshire

District: Chesterfield

Town: Chesterfield

District Council Ward: St Leonard's

Traditional County: Derbyshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Derbyshire

Church of England Parish: Chesterfield St Mary and All Saints

Church of England Diocese: Derby

Find accommodation in
Chesterfield

Listing Text

SK 3771 SE CHESTERFIELD ROSE HILL
(South side)
908/4/10018
War Memorial and Steps
30.03.1999 In front of Chesterfield Town
Hall

GV II


Urns, terraces and steps. 1933-8. Designed by AJ Hope of Bradshaw Gass and Hope. War memorial added 1954. Portland stone. Steps rise to semi-circular fronted terrace with balustrade. This terrace has raised platform to rear with semi-circular back wall partly rusticated and topped with console brackets and shallow pediment. Steps on either side rise in two short flights to road level. These steps also have balustrades which continue to left and to right terminating in piers topped with oval stone planting urns. The centre of this top balustrade has chest tomb war memorial raised on single step with bronze torches to either side on rear wall, this pedimented wall flanked by stepped piers. Balustrade to either side finished with oval stone planting urns.
This structure was designed as part of the formal approach to the new Town Hall. The war memorial was unveiled by the Duke of Devonshire on 8th May 1954.


Listing NGR: SK3797771180


This List entry has been amended to add sources for War Memorials Online and the War Memorials Register. These sources were not used in the compilation of this List entry but are added here as a guide for further reading, 25 January 2017.

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.