This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.7159 / 51°42'57"N
Longitude: 0.5832 / 0°34'59"E
OS Eastings: 578543
OS Northings: 205069
OS Grid: TL785050
Mapcode National: GBR PKW.B8P
Mapcode Global: VHJKB.244D
Entry Name: The Cottage
Listing Date: 30 March 1999
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1113308
English Heritage Legacy ID: 473477
Location: Danbury, Chelmsford, Essex, CM3
Civil Parish: Danbury
Built-Up Area: Danbury
Traditional County: Essex
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Essex
Church of England Parish: Danbury St John the Baptist
Church of England Diocese: Chelmsford
719/30/10040 COPT HILL
3 houses, converted to one. Late C17 cast part, early C18 centre section and mid C18 extension to west end. Rear extension of 1871. C17 part of rendered timber frame, centre of brick, west element of timber frame clad with brick; plaintile and slate (1871 extension) roofs.
EXTERIOP,: cast C17 element of one storey and dormer attic; 3-window range. One late C20 2-light and one 3-light casements to left of late C20 single-storey bay window. Mansard roof added 1871 in place of gabled roof and 2 dormers under sloping slate roofs inserted, that to cast enlarged 1961. External brick gable-end stacks.
Rear of east part mostly obscured by 2-storey gabled extension of 187 1: single-window range with C20 casements to north and half-glazed door in west end. Main wall of house with one C20 2-light casement.
Centre and west extensions of one storey and attic: one 3-light late C20 casement in centre part with a late C20 plank door to its right. West part with 2 late C20 2-light casements. Ridge stack. Rear with one 2-light C20 casement and one C20 glazed door behind late C20 conservatory.
INTERIOR: east room of C17 build with heavy joists morticed into east mid rail. Former winder staircase in north-east corner removed 1871 when portion of north wall knocked through into kitchen extension of that year. Main room has 3 walls with heavy scanning timber frame exposed. Frame to cast wall with 2 arched braces, that to south formerly with a door cut through but now sealed. Late C20 staircase rises in front of wall. Chamfered spine beam with tongue stops at west end over inglenook fireplace rebuilt in C18 reusing a chamfered bressumer. First-floor room, above with tie beam and wall plates.
Centre room with ceiling removed but with tie beam in situ. Small C18 inglenook in east wall, with chamfered bressumer.
Extreme west room with exposed timber frame of thin scantling. Chamfered bridging beam. Early C19 brick fireplace. Late C20 cast-iron winder staircase to first floor: roof of common rafters only and one purlin concealed by boarded ceiling.
Listing NGR: TL7854305069
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings