This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.5245 / 51°31'28"N
Longitude: -0.0654 / 0°3'55"W
OS Eastings: 534306
OS Northings: 182396
OS Grid: TQ343823
Mapcode National: GBR Y7.FP
Mapcode Global: VHGQT.TY85
Entry Name: Former Bethnal Green British School
Listing Date: 30 March 1999
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1113313
English Heritage Legacy ID: 473483
Location: Tower Hamlets, London, E2
District: Tower Hamlets
Electoral Ward/Division: Weavers
Built-Up Area: Tower Hamlets
Traditional County: Middlesex
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Greater London
Church of England Parish: St Matthew Bethnal Green
Church of England Diocese: London
TQ 3482 RAMSEY STREET
788/9/10106 Former Bethnal Green British School
British school. Built in 1839 with front extension added 1872. Original part of stock brick with stuccoed parapet and two end full height pilasters. Hipped slate roof. Two storeys, with central attic of three bays of 1872 and 13 windows to first floor and 10 windows to 1872 ground floor extension. Attic storey has 6-pane sashes. First floor windows are sash windows with glazing bars intact. Central cambered entrance in 1872 addition and original side entrances under stuccoed plaques, BOYS to left and GIRLS to right. Left side elevation has three blanks. Rear elevation has cambered pivoting casements to first floor of Boys room but the Girls room has later C19 casements within original cambered heads. Interior retains timber and wrought iron roof trusses The former Abbey Street British Schools were built for the Spitalfields and Bethnal Green British Society, designed to accommodate 500 children aged six to fifteen. There were two large schoolrooms for boys and girls, entered from the end bays and separated by central spaces, of two storeys, for a schoolmaster's house and a visitors room. Built to conform with the Lancastrian system the schoolrooms were designed for hundreds of children to sit in rows facing the front with spaces behind their benches for monitorial supervision and inner end platforms for the masters. In 1872 the main range, which originally had a pediment and bell turret was altered by the addition of a classroom at the front and the attic extension in place of the bell turret. An early example and an extremely rare survival.
Listing NGR: TQ3430682396
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings