History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Barn, Including Attached Cartshed and Stable, at Holmbush Farm

A Grade II Listed Building in Hellingly, East Sussex

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 50.8997 / 50°53'58"N

Longitude: 0.2499 / 0°14'59"E

OS Eastings: 558307

OS Northings: 113545

OS Grid: TQ583135

Mapcode National: GBR MSN.J0Q

Mapcode Global: FRA C6DQ.K6K

Entry Name: Barn, Including Attached Cartshed and Stable, at Holmbush Farm

Listing Date: 30 March 1999

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1113314

English Heritage Legacy ID: 473485

Location: Hellingly, Wealden, East Sussex, BN27

County: East Sussex

District: Wealden

Civil Parish: Hellingly

Traditional County: Sussex

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): East Sussex

Church of England Parish: Hellingly St Peter and St Paul

Church of England Diocese: Chichester

Find accommodation in
Hellingly

Listing Text

TQ 51 SE HELLINGLY
NORTH STREET

12/10036 Barn, including attached
cartshed and stable at
Holmbush Farm

II

Threshing barn with attached cartshed and stable. Barn circa 1600, cartshed early Cl9 and stable dated 1847. Barn is timber framed, clad in weatherboarding, replaced in many places by corrugated iron, on brick plinth with hipped roof now covered in corrugated iron. Central cart entrance with double doors. INTERIOR: 5 bays. Wall frame has midrail and two curved windbraces to each bay, 5 remain on one side, 5 on the other and two at one end. The other end has lost the subsidiary framing. Jowled upright posts with curved windbraces and unusual roof construction with twin butt purlins and raking queen struts to the principal rafters. Attached to the north is an early C19 open fronted cartshed of brick in Sussex bond and some original weatherboarding remains on the north side of the barn. Attached to the north east side is a stable dated 1847 with the name "I Dann", partly of sandstone and partly stretcher bond brickwork, the interior retaining central stall partition and feeding troughs. Rape of Hastings Architectural Survey mentions only three other barns with the same roof construction as this barn.
SOURCE: David and Barbara Martin "Historic Buildings in Eastern Sussex Vol 3 pp.128-132.

Listing NGR: TQ5830713545

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.