This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 50.3716 / 50°22'17"N
Longitude: -4.1596 / 4°9'34"W
OS Eastings: 246522
OS Northings: 54636
OS Grid: SX465546
Mapcode National: GBR R7H.HT
Mapcode Global: FRA 2852.38W
Entry Name: Former Royal Naval Hospital the Square Number 14 (Middleton Lodge) and Wall
Listing Date: 1 May 1975
Last Amended: 9 November 1998
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1113321
English Heritage Legacy ID: 473518
Location: Plymouth, PL1
County: City of Plymouth
Electoral Ward/Division: St Peter and the Waterfront
Built-Up Area: Plymouth
Traditional County: Devon
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Devon
Church of England Parish: Plymouth St Peter and the Holy Apostles
Church of England Diocese: Exeter
SX4654NE HIGH STREET, Stonehouse
740-1/56/814 (North side)
01/05/75 Former Royal Naval Hospital: The
Square No.14 (Middleton Lodge) and
(Formerly Listed as:
HIGH STREET, Stonehouse
Royal Naval Hospital: Pay Office and
Steward and butler's office, later Surgeon rear admiral's
office. 1765, designed by Alexander Rovehead for the Navy
Board. Plymouth limestone rubble with limestone dressings and
rusticated quoins; dry slate pyramidal mansard roof over coped
parapet over band with ball finials, the roof surmounted by
tall stuccoed stack with moulded entablature; 2 mansard
windows to front. Small square plan.
EXTERIOR: single storey plus attic; symmetrical 3-bay arcade
facing matching Pay Office (qv). 3 round arches on impost
string containing C19 vertical-glazed fanlights over 2-light
window to centre and glazed and panelled doors plus sidelights
to other arches. Original or early C19 hornless sashes with
glazing bars to other elevations.
INTERIOR: retains many original features of interest
including: dog-leg staircase with 2-panel door under; panelled
door within doorway with reeded pilasters; partitioned filing
shelves and sliding panelled doors to top and reeded window
SUBSIDIARY FEATURES: high rubble wall attached to S side of
HISTORY: part of the original hospital plan, identical in form
to the pavilion north of the inner gates (Pay Office, qv).
Stonehouse was of international importance for its pioneering
Part of an outstanding and complete military hospital complex.
Listing NGR: SX4652254636
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings