This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 50.3711 / 50°22'16"N
Longitude: -4.1597 / 4°9'34"W
OS Eastings: 246513
OS Northings: 54588
OS Grid: SX465545
Mapcode National: GBR R7G.SP
Mapcode Global: FRA 2852.37Z
Entry Name: Former Royal Naval Hospital the Square Number 18 and Attached Wall
Listing Date: 9 November 1998
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1113324
English Heritage Legacy ID: 473521
Location: Plymouth, PL1
County: City of Plymouth
Electoral Ward/Division: St Peter and the Waterfront
Built-Up Area: Plymouth
Traditional County: Devon
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Devon
Church of England Parish: Plymouth St Peter and the Holy Apostles
Church of England Diocese: Exeter
SX4654NE HIGH STREET, Stonehouse
740-1/56/800 (North side)
Former Royal Naval Hospital: The
Square No.18 and attached wall
Formerly known as: Royal Naval Hospital: Entrance Lodge (left)
HIGH STREET Stonehouse.
Officer's house at former Naval Hospital, now house. Mid C19.
Dressed Plymouth limestone brought to course with dry slate
roof over a moulded stone parapet, pediment west gable;
stuccoed panelled lateral stacks with moulded cornices.
2 storeys; 2-window range. Rusticated quoins, plat band and
bracketed moulded eaves to blocking course, and coped end
pediment gables. Console hoods to ground floor of 2-window
south range linked to string, plain openings above, all with
horned sashes, 2 lower sashes with glazing bars. Right-hand
return has a right-hand doorway and a small 6/6 pane sash.
Left-hand return with chimney. Rear of 3 bays with detail
similar to the front.
INTERIOR: not inspected.
SUBSIDIARY FEATURES: wall to rear extends alongside lane to
meet Nos 1-3 The Square (qv).
HISTORY: the house, together with that to the east (qv),
accommodated the officers of the subaltern guard of the Royal
Marines, posted here in order to prevent desertions; they were
replaced by the Admiralty Constabulary in the mid C19. The
main south gate was between these houses until 1911. Forms
part of an outstanding and complete military hospital complex.
(The Buildings of England: Pevsner N: Devon: London: 1989-:
654 & 655; Morrison K: Royal Naval Hospital, Stonehouse:
Cambridge: 1992-: 100373).
Listing NGR: SX4651354588
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings