This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 50.385 / 50°23'5"N
Longitude: -4.0457 / 4°2'44"W
OS Eastings: 254660
OS Northings: 55896
OS Grid: SX546558
Mapcode National: GBR Q0.TBLS
Mapcode Global: FRA 28D0.ZM3
Entry Name: Plympton House (St Peters Convent)
Listing Date: 23 April 1952
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1113363
English Heritage Legacy ID: 473580
Location: Plymouth, PL7
County: City of Plymouth
Electoral Ward/Division: Plympton Erle
Built-Up Area: Plymouth
Traditional County: Devon
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Devon
SX5455NE LONGCAUSE, Plympton St Maurice
740-1/50/527 (North side (off))
23/04/52 Plympton House (St Peter's Convent)
Country house, now a convent. From 1700, erected for the Treby
family (Sir George Treby, Lord Chief Justice). Probably
designed for the same architect responsible for Mothecombe and
Puslinch (former list description). Mason in 1720 is George
Veale. Front and rear elevations of limestone ashlar,
otherwise brick with limestone dressings including moulded
architraves and rusticated quoins; dry slate hipped roof
behind parapet with moulded cornice; large brick axial stacks
with limestone dressings.
PLAN: large rectangular plan, with central stair hall.
EXTERIOR: 2 storeys over basement; symmetrical 7-window front
and rear elevations with centre breaks surmounted by pediments
with heraldic achievements. Original sashes with thick glazing
bars within moulded architraves; elliptical-arched basement
windows. Central principal entrance approached by flight of
stone steps with wrought-iron balustrades.
INTERIOR: includes large entrance hall leading to an E-W
corridor. The staircase fills the whole of the SE corner of
the house, exceptionally rich, with four graduated balusters
to each tread, the handrail ending in a virtuoso roll, and the
landing with Corinthian-column newels. Much bolection-moulded
panelling, corner fireplaces, two fine Baroque marble
chimneypieces with oval centres, the one in the hall flanked
by fluted pilasters, the drawing room one with scroll volutes.
The spacious service rooms in the basement have elegant groin
vaults on piers, as at Puslinch and Mothecombe.
(The Buildings of England: Pevsner N: Devon: London: 1989-:
684; Country Life: LXXIV: London: 146).
Listing NGR: SX5466555900
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings