History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Beech House, Oak House and Linden House at Upton Hospital

A Grade II Listed Building in Central, Slough

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.5055 / 51°30'19"N

Longitude: -0.5927 / 0°35'33"W

OS Eastings: 497770

OS Northings: 179448

OS Grid: SU977794

Mapcode National: GBR F87.DZK

Mapcode Global: VHFT8.PF16

Entry Name: Beech House, Oak House and Linden House at Upton Hospital

Listing Date: 3 August 1984

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1113371

English Heritage Legacy ID: 38699

Location: Slough, SL1

County: Slough

Electoral Ward/Division: Central

Built-Up Area: Slough

Traditional County: Buckinghamshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Berkshire

Church of England Parish: Upton-cum-Chalvey

Church of England Diocese: Oxford

Find accommodation in
Eton

Listing Text

SU 97 NE SLOUGH ALBERT STREET (north side)

4/6 Beech House, Oak House,
And Linden House At Upton
Hospital (SU 9776 7942)

II

Union Workhouse, now hospital 1835-6, by Sampson Kempthorne. Stock brick,
rendered ground floor to south with banded rustication, and hipped slate
roofs. Cruciform plan with central octagonal staircase block, and 3
storey block to south with lower flanking wings. South front: 3 storeys
with cill bands and deep eaves. 5 bays with glazing bar sashes, those on
first floor with blind hoods. Central half glazed door with triangular
pedimented hood on brackets. Flanking 2 storey one bay wings. Later
flanking one storey wings slightly set back with louvred clerestorys,
scattered glazing bar sashes and half glazed doors. The Mrs. Sinkins
Pink was first raised here circa 1880 by the Master of the workhouse
and named after his wife, the Matron. B.O.E, (Bucks, p.238; The History
Of Slough, Maxwell Fraser, Slough Corporation, 1973, pp. 115-6; The Story
Of Slough, Judith Hunter, Local Heritage Books, 1983, pp.58-60.


Listing NGR: SU9777079448

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.