This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.5068 / 51°30'24"N
Longitude: -0.6083 / 0°36'29"W
OS Eastings: 496684
OS Northings: 179569
OS Grid: SU966795
Mapcode National: GBR F86.H1L
Mapcode Global: VHFT8.DDS7
Entry Name: Church of St Peter
Listing Date: 29 September 1950
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1113376
English Heritage Legacy ID: 38708
Location: Slough, SL1
Electoral Ward/Division: Chalvey
Built-Up Area: Slough
Traditional County: Buckinghamshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Berkshire
Church of England Parish: Upton-cum-Chalvey
Church of England Diocese: Oxford
SU 97 NE SLOUGH CHURCH STREET (south side)
4/1 Church Of St. Peter
Church. 1860-1, by G.E. Street in a neo-Gothic style. Knapped flint with
stone dressings and red brick lacing courses. Tiled roofs with change of
pitch over aisle. Nave, north aisle, north porch, chancel, and vestry. Angle
and clasping buttresses, cill string to east, parapeted gable ends, and
bellcote to west with 2 trefoil arched openings. North aisle: 4 trefoil
headed lancets to left; doorway to right with chamfered arch, moulded
imposts, and 2 boarded doors. Gabled north porch with moulded arch and two
C20 wrought iron gates. Chancel; north side: trefoil headed window to
left; lean-to vestry to right with 2 trefoil headed lights to east and
segmental arched boarded door to north. South side: two 2-light windows
with Y-tracery. East end: large quatrefoiled circular window in arched recess
with 2 smaller quatrefoils flanking below. Nave; south side: 2-light window
to left and 3-light window to right with trefoiled tracery. West front:
large 4-light window with foiled plate tracery and hoodmould with carved
stops. 2-trefoil headed lights in aisle to left. Interior: 4 bay north
aisle arcade with circular piers, foliated capitals and chamfered arches with
nailhead decoration. Chamfered chancel arch with hoodmould and carved stops.
Nook shafted east window with nailhead decoration. Fittings include; semi
circular stone pulpit with foliated frieze, and arcaded square font. Glass
by Kempe. V.C.H. (Bucks), Vol.3, p.317; B.0.E, Buckinghamshire, p.237;
The History of Slough, Maxwell Fraser, Slough Corporation, 1973, pp.38-9.
Listing NGR: SU9668479569
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings