History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

West Block and Chapel at St Bernards Convent

A Grade II Listed Building in Upton, Slough

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.506 / 51°30'21"N

Longitude: -0.5745 / 0°34'28"W

OS Eastings: 499028

OS Northings: 179527

OS Grid: SU990795

Mapcode National: GBR F87.KK7

Mapcode Global: VHFT9.0D3V

Entry Name: West Block and Chapel at St Bernards Convent

Listing Date: 3 August 1984

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1113382

English Heritage Legacy ID: 38719

Location: Slough, SL3

County: Slough

Electoral Ward/Division: Upton

Built-Up Area: Slough

Traditional County: Buckinghamshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Berkshire

Church of England Parish: Langley Marish

Church of England Diocese: Oxford

Find accommodation in
Slough

Listing Text

SU 97 NE SLOUGH LANGLEY ROAD (north side)

4/12 West Block And Chapel At
St. Bernard's Convent

II

House and chapel, now convent school and chapel. Circa 1850 with chapel
to west after 1869 by Alfred Waterhouse in a Neo-Gothic style. House:
gault brick with ashlar dressings and hipped slate roof. 3 storeys and
basement. Gauged window heads, ground floor egg and dart moulded frieze
and dentil cornice, frieze with paterae and egg and dart moulding, deep
eaves cornice with carved brackets and paterae on soffit, and truncated
end stacks. 6 bays; sashes without glazing bars, those on ground and
first floor with blind hoods. Small second floor windows with carved cill
brackets, cill railings and flanking Corinthian half columns; first floor
windows with carved cill brackets, cill balustrading and flanking Corinthian
half columns supporting pulvinated frieze, dentil cornice and triangular
pediment; 2 ground floor canted bays with ground floor frieze and cornice
carried round, and parapet; 2 inner windows flanking entrance. 2 central
one-panelled doors with side lights, dentil cornice and 3-light rectangular
overlight. 3 steps to Greek Doric porch with single columns to rear and
coupled columns to front supporting triglyph frieze with guttae, egg and
dart mouldings, dentil cornice, and balustraded parapet with rusticated
square corner piers. Egg and dart mouldings in porch soffit. Basement
balustrade consists of Greek Doric colonettes. North front: similar to entrance
front but with 3 ground floor canted bays and entrance off-centre to left
consisting of 4-panelled door with top 2 panels glazed and blank semi circular
fanlight with carved swags in spandrels; stone doorcase comprising architrave,
imposts with fluted frieze, and 2 horizontally divided fluted pilasters with
acanthus capitals supporting half architrave, carved frieze, and cornice.
Chapel: gault brick with ashlar dressings and slate roofs. North-south
axis, nave and chancel under one roof with lower south end, west aisle with
3 cross gables, south-west gabled porch and north-west vestry. Parapeted
gabled ends and gabled south bellcote. South end: large west window consisting
of stepped triple trefoiled lancets under large arch with returned hoodmould.
Porch to left with shafted and moulded arch, 2 boarded doors, and hoodmould.
Square headed window to west with 2 trefoil headed lights, plate tracery and
continuous hoodmould. Vestry and chancel with one lancet to west. North end:
stepped triple lancets with continuous hoodmould and cill string with carved
stops. Interior: entrance hall with rich panelled plaster ceiling, bifurcating
3-flight staircase with wrought iron balustrade, 3 bay arched Corinthian arcade
to north, and landing with 3 bay arched Ionic arcade. Well executed detailing
throughout including panelled doors, doorcases, cornices, plaster ceilings
and fireplaces. Chapel with 3 bay west aisle arcade. Known as Aldin House
when built this building became St. Michael's School in 1869, two famous
pupils of which were Sir Paul Waterhouse, one time president of the R.I.B.A,
and former Prime Minister Stanley Baldwin. The school moved in 1883 and the
building later became a Jesuit College for 8 years before becoming St. Bernard's
Convent in 1897. The quality of the detailing throughout is notable in a
building of this date. The History Of Slough, Maxwell Fraser, Slough
Corporation, 1973, pp.93-4.


Listing NGR: SU9902879527

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.