This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.4569 / 51°27'24"N
Longitude: -0.9692 / 0°58'9"W
OS Eastings: 471716
OS Northings: 173610
OS Grid: SU717736
Mapcode National: GBR QMF.D5
Mapcode Global: VHDWT.4MZZ
Entry Name: Municipal Buildings
Listing Date: 22 March 1957
Last Amended: 14 December 1978
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1113402
English Heritage Legacy ID: 38768
Location: Reading, RG1
Electoral Ward/Division: Abbey
Built-Up Area: Reading
Traditional County: Berkshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Berkshire
Church of England Parish: Reading St Mary the Virgin
Church of England Diocese: Oxford
(Formerly listed as
Old Abbey Buildings)
SU 7173 NE 1/29 22.3.57.
The Hospice on site of St John's Hospice and Grammar School was built in 1486
and may incorporate some of the earlier building (founded 1196). Turned into
Grammar School. "Restored" by Slingsby Stallwood for the University. 2 1/2 storeys.
Flint with ashlar quoins, dressings and random blocks. Old tiled roofs with
large (1892) skylights and dormers. South front 2+2+1+2 bays - the single
bay a projecting gabled break with 1892 single storey corridor wings flanking
it in matching style. 2 original corbelled chimneys on eaves. Small square
headed 2 light 4 centre arch headed lights mostly inserted during restoration.
To north, chamfered string over ground floor. Polygonal and parapetted stair
turret off centre left with external chimney to right. Small square headed
windows, similar to south side, on 1st floor, 2 to the left and 1+4 to the
right of the turret. Ground floor windows much larger with transoms. Single
storey lobby extension to north-east. Interior: the Tudor arch fireplace,
aumbry and panelled room mentioned in the VCH perhaps circa 1892.
Listing NGR: SU7171673610
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings