This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.444 / 51°26'38"N
Longitude: -0.9623 / 0°57'44"W
OS Eastings: 472212
OS Northings: 172175
OS Grid: SU722721
Mapcode National: GBR QNK.XT
Mapcode Global: VHDWT.8YLX
Entry Name: Christ Church
Listing Date: 14 December 1978
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1113441
English Heritage Legacy ID: 38852
Location: Reading, RG2
Electoral Ward/Division: Redlands
Built-Up Area: Reading
Traditional County: Berkshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Berkshire
Church of England Parish: Reading Christ Church
Church of England Diocese: Oxford
SU 7272 9/440
Church of England 1861-2 by Henry Woodyer. Enlarged 1874. An extremely good
and large High Victorian Church and one of Reading's landmarks. Early English
style. North-west tower porch capped by steeple. Built in coursed Pennant
rubble with ashlar quoins and dressings. Tiled roofs. 6 bay aisled nave and
lower 3 bay chancel. Latter has later vestry (as north transept externally
with arcaded string, pointed doorway and plate tracery occulus). 1874 south
chapel. Nave clerestory consists of small foiled lancets set in a bold ashlar
blind traceried arcade. Aisle windows also cusped, divided by buttresses.
Geometric tracery window to chancel and 5 light decorated-style east window.
Tower and steeple are the main features, completed 1875 (though carving unfinished).
3 stage tower with angle buttresses with stepped plinth and various set offs,
capped by diagonal pinnacles taking fliers to steeple. Gargoyles and unfinished
decoration to parapet. Total height to top of steeple 164 ft. Uncarved crockets
to south porch. Interior. ruin feature is the chancel arch whose upper part
is filled with reticulated tracery (said to represent the Veil of the Temple ).
Arcade has Purbeck shafts and gablets to capitals which have large naturalistic
flowers. cusped rere-arches to clerestory. Queen post roof with wind braces.
Collar purlin roof with scissor braces in chancel. Pulpit, also probably by
Woodyer, in 2 stages. Low flint wall about 4 ft high and with chamfered capping
to street. The church was originally planned as a 'chapel of ease' for St
Giles', to cope with an expanding parish. Woodyer's school in Basingstoke
Road (qv St Paul's School) was used until Christ Church was ready.
Listing NGR: SU7221272175
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.