This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.4564 / 51°27'22"N
Longitude: -0.9693 / 0°58'9"W
OS Eastings: 471708
OS Northings: 173549
OS Grid: SU717735
Mapcode National: GBR QMF.CC
Mapcode Global: VHDWT.4NXD
Entry Name: Church of St Laurence st Laurence's Church and Churchyard
Listing Date: 22 March 1957
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1113532
English Heritage Legacy ID: 39066
Location: Reading, RG1
Electoral Ward/Division: Abbey
Built-Up Area: Reading
Traditional County: Berkshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Berkshire
Church of England Parish: Reading St Laurence
Church of England Diocese: Oxford
Church of St Laurence
SU 7173 NE 1/202 22.3.57.
Church of England. Structure Norman to C15 with excessive restorations of
1867. Flint with ashlar quoins and dressings. Principal feature tile C15 3
tage tower closing vista to north of Market Place - crenellated parapet, octagonal
chequered clasping buttresses with strings, capped by crenellation (spirelets
removed); sundial to south dated 1727, main entrance to west. Tower built
1458. Tiled roofs with centre valley (nave and north aisle). 1+4 bay nave,
2 very wide chancel bays. Nave south wall has small Norman window at west
end and a late C12 round headed doorway with waterleaf capitals ; other openings
restored Decorated style. Chancel east end has 3 lancets with blind lancets
between. North aisle and chancel aisle probably 1521 (when present arcade
built) see flat topped 2 light cusped windows and 3 light east window. Interior
- Norman fragments in north aisle door, king-post roof of C15. 1522. Font.
Good C18 pulpit. Fine bench ends with tracery panels and poppyheads in chancel.
Organ case (very fine) 1741 by Byfield. Pulpit also 1741 - panelled single
storey affair on mid C19 stand. A number of brasses and memorials. The best
is the memorial to John Blagrave (died 1611, author of "The Mathematical Jewell").
The principal interest of this church is that it was built at the Abbey gate.
The circa 1200 work may possibly be in connection with foundation of St John's
Hospice (qv Blagrave St Municipal Buildings).
Listing NGR: SU7170473547
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings