This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.4544 / 51°27'15"N
Longitude: -0.9736 / 0°58'25"W
OS Eastings: 471411
OS Northings: 173319
OS Grid: SU714733
Mapcode National: GBR QLG.D3
Mapcode Global: VHDWT.2PMY
Entry Name: Church of St Mary
Listing Date: 22 March 1957
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1113573
English Heritage Legacy ID: 39156
Location: Reading, RG1
Electoral Ward/Division: Abbey
Built-Up Area: Reading
Traditional County: Berkshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Berkshire
Church of England Parish: Reading St Mary the Virgin
Church of England Diocese: Oxford
ST MARY'S BUTTS
Church of St Mary
SU 7173 SW 2/235 22.3.57.
Church of England. Like St Laurence's, a Reading landmark. Nothing retains
of the Norman Church except a doorway built into north wall. Built in distinctive materials: a chequerwork of flint and ashlar with tiled roofs. Prominent west tower, hall church with 4 bay aisled nave and projecting chancel. The tower, 1550-53, is of 3 stages, crenellated and with polygonal angle buttresses capped by crocketed pinnacles. The south aisle with projecting gabled porch in 3rd bay is 5+2 (later) bays with dividing buttresses and Decorated-style tracery. 3 bay chancel (1864) in Early English style with bill flowers to moulded cornice. (Built in knapped and squared flint). To north vestry projects with door to east and older polygonal turret with decorated cornice. The north transept is indicated by a gable. 3 bay north aisle (1871, Joseph Morris) with decorated tracery. Interior: south arcade circa 1200 with chamfered soffits and alternately scalloped and fluted caps (Pevsner sees these as transitional waterleaf) North arcade has a circa 1300 1½ bay return screen to form transept. Arch brace truss roof with scissor braces above. 4 dormers in south slope of nave roof. Screen dated 1631 under west tower gallery has cusped panelling. Memorial
to William Kendrick (died 1635). Memorial by Flaxman to John Monck (died 1809).
Listing NGR: SU7141073334
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings