History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Railway Bridge and Attached Accommodation Bridge over River Kennet at Su 7306 7381

A Grade II Listed Building in Park, Reading

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.4586 / 51°27'30"N

Longitude: -0.9498 / 0°56'59"W

OS Eastings: 473060

OS Northings: 173810

OS Grid: SU730738

Mapcode National: GBR QRD.QL

Mapcode Global: VHDWT.HL7Q

Entry Name: Railway Bridge and Attached Accommodation Bridge over River Kennet at Su 7306 7381

Listing Date: 17 November 1988

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1113621

English Heritage Legacy ID: 39279

Location: Reading, RG1

County: Reading

Electoral Ward/Division: Park

Built-Up Area: Reading

Traditional County: Berkshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Berkshire

Church of England Parish: Reading Greyfriars

Church of England Diocese: Oxford

Find accommodation in
Caversham

Listing Text

SU 7373
8/566

READING
Railway bridge and attached accommodation bridge over River Kennet at SU 7306 7381


GV
II
Railway bridge and attached accommodation bridge. Railway bridge 1839-1840 by
Isambard Kingdom Brunel for The Great Western Railway, widened[1892 and probably
accommodation bridge attached at same date. Railway bridge of red brick widened
in engineering brick with ashlar dressings; accommodation bridge of steel and
timber. Railway bridge: built on skew having central elliptical arch flanked by
pilasters, the western one on cutwater, with two round flood arches to either side
and broad battered buttresses beyond. Band below flat-coped parapet. North side,
the addition, similar but partially masked by the accommodation bridge which has
steel-framed substructure, with girders cantilevered from face of railway bridge;
wooden deck; and parapet of vertical boards supported by panelled frame with
diagonally-crossed braces, this being of timber to the long, sloping ramps (which
are panelled to river) and of steel to the peaked archway. The Twyford to Reading
section of the Great Western Railway was opened 30.3.1840.


Listing NGR: SU7306073810

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.