This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.4499 / 51°26'59"N
Longitude: -0.9512 / 0°57'4"W
OS Eastings: 472978
OS Northings: 172842
OS Grid: SU729728
Mapcode National: GBR QRH.FP
Mapcode Global: VHDWT.GTHD
Entry Name: Church of Saint Luke and Attached School
Listing Date: 29 November 1989
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1113622
English Heritage Legacy ID: 39280
Location: Reading, RG1
Electoral Ward/Division: Redlands
Built-Up Area: Reading
Traditional County: Berkshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Berkshire
Church of England Parish: Reading St Luke
Church of England Diocese: Oxford
The following buildings shall be added to the list:-
READING ERLEIGH ROAD
SU 7272 (north side)
Church of St Luke and
Church and attached school. 1882 by J P St Aubyn. Red brick in Flemish bond with
white brick bands and stone dressings. Plain tile roof with strips of white tiles
at angles. 5-bay nave with lean-to side aisles continuing across west end as
porch and choir vestry; lower 2-bay chancel with 7-sided east end, gabled southern
bell vestry (treated as transept) and south-east vestry with polygonal east end.
School attached to north side of chancel. Offset plinth, buttresses with off-
sets. Pointed-arched board doors with decorative iron hinges in roll-moulded
surrounds. Lancet windows, paired to nave, with hoodmoulds to apse. Modillion
eaves cornices. Decorative ridge tiles. Nave: west end has stepped tripled
lancets; roll-moulded ashlar coping, east gable having gabled bellcote with cross
finial. Chancel: bell vestry has 5 small lancets below stepped tripled lancets.
South-east vestry has door, small paired lancets, and 5 more to canted east end
above which rises ploygonal roof with cross finial. Eaves stack to main chancel
roof. East side of apse has datestone below white brick cross, school: 2
storeys; 2 + 3 bays, on cant. Bay 1, linking school to church, has 3 lancets on
each floor. Bay 2 is entrance bay, having door flanked by small lancets below 2
strings, and to upper floor paired lancets with oculus over and gable with bud
finial. To right are 7 lancets, and on 1st floor 5 set in gables breaking eaves
and arranged 1,1,3. Interior of church: pointed-arched arcades of red brick on
stone columns; red brick surrounds to openings, otherwise brown brick throughout.
1914-18 war memorial in recess in nave west wall, behind font. Arch-braced roof
trusses with 3 tiers of arched wind braces between 2 sets of purlins. In chancel:
encaustic tile roof; sedilia; highly decorative stone reredos; altar rail on
twisted and scroll-bracketed balusters; and good stained glass.
Listing NGR: SU7297872842
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings