This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 52.0295 / 52°1'46"N
Longitude: -0.3544 / 0°21'15"W
OS Eastings: 512991
OS Northings: 238069
OS Grid: TL129380
Mapcode National: GBR H4T.M7D
Mapcode Global: VHFQW.S8Z0
Entry Name: Parish Church of All Saints
Listing Date: 31 October 1966
Last Amended: 10 January 1985
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1113722
English Heritage Legacy ID: 37562
Location: Campton and Chicksands, Central Bedfordshire, SG17
County: Central Bedfordshire
Civil Parish: Campton and Chicksands
Built-Up Area: Campton
Traditional County: Bedfordshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Bedfordshire
Church of England Parish: Campton
Church of England Diocese: St.Albans
IL 1238 CAMPTON RECTORY ROAD (North Side)
3l.l0.66 Parish Church of All
Parish church. Late C13, C14, C15 and C17. Extensively reworked 1898,
including almost all window tracery. Coursed ironstone with ashlar dressings.
Clay tile roofs. Chancel, N chapel, S organ chamber, nave, N aisle, S aisle,
S porch, SW tower. Chancel: C13, enlarged C14. 2-bay plan. 4-light pointed
arched E window, 3-light square-headed SE window. Gable has stone coping and
2 buttresses. Pointed chancel arch. N chapel: (Osborn Chapel) 1649. 3-light
square-headed E window (the only one to retain original tracery) has doorway
cutting into southern light. Stone coped parapet. Adjoining to N is C18
gabled mausoleum, of red and blue brick with slate roof. S organ chamber:
1898, gabled, with 2 lancets and octagonal chimney stack. Nave: 4-bay N
arcade of 1649 with 4-centred arches on octagonal pillars. Late C13 S arcade,
formerly of 4-bays but W bay cut by later W tower. 3-light pointed arched W
window. N aisle: 1649. Original wood windows replaced 1898 with 3 4-centred
arched windows to N and pointed-arched window to W. 4-centred arched door
under square head. Stone coped gables. S aisle: C13, reworked early C14. 2
pointed-arched 2-light windows, one with flowing tracery. Embattled parapet.
S porch: 1898. Gabled timber structure with clay tiled roof. 4-centred
archway with carved spandrels. Some ogee-headed carved panels. Ornate pierced
bargeboards. SW tower: C15, heavily reworked 1898. 3 stages. 2-stage
buttresses to NW and SE angles, 3-stage diagonal buttresses to SW angle.
Embattled parapet. Square-headed 2-light window to each side of top stage.
Pointed-arched 2-light W window to lower stage. Pointed arches onto nave and
S aisle. Interior: many wall monuments. In N chapel, finest of the tombs of
the Osborn family (of Chicksands Priory) is the original white marble pair by
John Stone, to Sir John (d.1628) and Sir Peter (d.1653), erected 1655 by Henry
Osborn, each aedicule surmounted by coat of arms. In chancel is black and
white marble one to Daniel Goldsmith, d.1685, with angel to apron. In SE nave
is brass to Richard Carlyll, d.1489, and wife Joan. C15 rood screen now moved
to tower arches. Pulpit made up of re-used C15 screen. Circa 1650 2-tiered
oak screen to Osborn chapel, with turned balusters to lower part and round-
headed arcading to upper part. C19 roofs and font. N aisle and nave retain
some C15 pewing.
Listing NGR: TL1299138069
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings