This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 51.9826 / 51°58'57"N
Longitude: -0.3942 / 0°23'39"W
OS Eastings: 510378
OS Northings: 232784
OS Grid: TL103327
Mapcode National: GBR H5B.P4W
Mapcode Global: VHFR2.3FYJ
Entry Name: Parish Church of Saint Margaret
Listing Date: 23 January 1961
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1113758
English Heritage Legacy ID: 37639
Location: Shillington, Central Bedfordshire, SG5
County: Central Bedfordshire
Civil Parish: Shillington
Traditional County: Bedfordshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Bedfordshire
Church of England Parish: Higham Gobion
Church of England Diocese: St.Albans
TL 1038 3278 HIGHAM GOBION
23.1.61 Parish Church of Saint
Parish church. C14 and C15 details, but extensively reworked 1879-80 by
Burton and Wood. Coursed ironstone and cobblestones, with ashlar dressings.
Gabled clay tile roofs. Chancel, nave, narrow N aisle, W tower. Chancel: 2-
stage buttresses to angles and to N and S walls. Pointed-arched E window of 3
trefoiled lights. NW window of 2 trefoiled lights, retaining some C14
tracery. SW window in same form but without tracery. C15 pointed-arched
priest's door. Early C14 pointed chancel arch. Nave: 2-stage buttresses to
NW and SW. Early C14 3-bay N arcade with pointed arches. 3 2-light pointed
arched windows to S elevation, only W one trefoiled. Pointed arched S
doorway. N aisle: more a narrow passageway, replacing original aisle. 3
windows, all paired pointed-arched lights. W tower: original tower arch
remains, rest of tower rebuilt 1880. 2 stages, with angle buttresses and
embattled parapets. Pointed-arched and trefoiled 2-light W window to lower
stage. Upper stage has paired louvred windows to S and W elevations.
Interior: cinquefoiled ogee-headed piscina and sedilia are C15 but reworked.
Font, octagonal on heavy octagonal shaft, thought to be C17 or C18. Wall
monument in chancel to Edmund Castell, Semitic scholar and professor of Arabic
at Cambridge and rector of Higham Gobion from 1674 until his death in 1685.
Last line of tablet is in Arabic, and is translated as "He elected to be
buried in this spot in hopes of a better". Wall monument in nave to Thomas
Halfpenny, d.1684. Brasses in chancel wall to Jane Cason, d.1603, and to
Catherine Browne, d.1602 (both daughters of the Butler family, who held the
manor) and their chidren. Roofs and pewing date from 1880.
Listing NGR: TL1037832784
Other nearby listed buildings