This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 52.0082 / 52°0'29"N
Longitude: -0.4242 / 0°25'27"W
OS Eastings: 508253
OS Northings: 235591
OS Grid: TL082355
Mapcode National: GBR G3S.1KW
Mapcode Global: VHFQV.LSLC
Entry Name: Church of St James
Listing Date: 23 January 1961
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1113780
English Heritage Legacy ID: 37690
Location: Silsoe, Central Bedfordshire, MK45
County: Central Bedfordshire
Civil Parish: Silsoe
Built-Up Area: Silsoe
Traditional County: Bedfordshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Bedfordshire
Church of England Parish: Silsoe
Church of England Diocese: St.Albans
TL 0835 SILSOE HIGH STREET
13/135 (East Side)
23.1.61 Church of St James
Parish church. Erected 1829-31 on site of medieval chapel of ease belonging
to Flitton parish. Architect Thomas Smith of Hertford (later County Surveyor
of Bedfordshire). Largely financed by Lord de Grey of Wrest Park. Coursed
ironstone with ashlar dressings. Slate roofs. C15 style. Chancel, S vestry,
nave with clerestory, N and S aisles, W tower. Chancel has 3-light 4-centred
arched E window. W tower has 3-light point-arched W window to lower stage.
Elsewhere uniform fenestration of 2-light windows under flat heads. All
windows cusped, with moulded dripstones. Embattled parapets throughout. 3-
stage tower has octagonal stair-turret to SE angle. Interior: rather plain.
3-bay pointed-arched arcades to nave. Simple timber roofs, that to chancel
with 4 carved angels.
Listing NGR: TL0825335591
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings