History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Fairfield Hospital

A Grade II Listed Building in Fairfield Park, Central Bedfordshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.0021 / 52°0'7"N

Longitude: -0.2478 / 0°14'51"W

OS Eastings: 520380

OS Northings: 235194

OS Grid: TL203351

Mapcode National: GBR J6N.J5S

Mapcode Global: VHGND.NYC1

Entry Name: Fairfield Hospital

Listing Date: 2 January 1985

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1113869

English Heritage Legacy ID: 37909

Location: Stotfold, Central Bedfordshire, SG5

County: Central Bedfordshire

Civil Parish: Fairfield

Built-Up Area: Fairfield Park

Traditional County: Bedfordshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Bedfordshire

Church of England Parish: Stotfold

Church of England Diocese: St.Albans

Find accommodation in
Stotfold

Listing Text

TL 23NW
5/120

STOTFOLD
HITCHIN ROAD

Fairfield Hospital

II

Lunatic asylum. Originally called the Three Counties Hospital, served the counties
of Bedfordshire, Hertfordshire and Huntingdonshire, controlled by a Committee of
Visitors. 1856-60 by George Fowler Jones of York, advised by Mr Hill, Medical
Superintendant of the North and East Ridings Asylum in Yorkshire. Builder William
Webster of Boston, Lincolnshire. Extended 1868-70 and 1877-81 in similar style
by the same architect. Yellow brick, with some patterning in red brick. Painted
render dressings. Slate roofs. Complex symmetrical plan. Original block,
constructed around 2 courtyards, has projecting administrative block to centre
of front (S) elevation, projecting blocks at outer angles of front elevation, and
chapel block (now kitchens) to centre of rear elevation. 1868-70 works include 2
recreation halls flanking chapel block, and blocks projecting northwards to W and
E of these, which replace earlier low service wings. 1877-81 extensions consist
of wings to W and E which virtually doubled size of building. Different blocks
are generally of 2 and 3 storeys, with variety of gables and projecting canted
bays. Punctuated at intervals by towers and turrets, some rising to 4 storeys
and attics. Roofline originally more animated, with great number and variety of
chimney stacks and an ornate clock tower to central administrative block, now
removed. Towers have variety of roofs, some pyramidal, some tall and hipped,
with fishscale tiles and wrought iron finials, other with leaded ogival cupulae,
giving hospital slightly French appearance. Most windows have mullions and
transoms, many are under cambered relieving arches. Central administrative block
has segmental-headed doorway flanked by rusticated pilasters and surmounted by
ornate first floor window whose scrolled pediment contains Three Counties crest.
Interior: ground floor RH room of administrative block, originally Committee
Room, retains plasterwork mouldings to ceiling and ornate wood fire surround with
carved strapwork, fruit, flowers and Three Counties crest (with B.H.H. worked
into design). Latter has plaque: "This carved oak chimney piece was presented
to the Asylum and erected in this Committee Room by William Webster, the
contractor for the building, September 1859." Both recreation halls to rear of
building have apsidal ends to N and clerestories supported by cast iron columns.
Ironwork includes some moulded and pierced decoration. Some stained glass
decoration to long apsidal windows and to S elevation windows, the latter showing
the initials of the members of the original Committee of Visitors. Other
interiors very plain (Bedfordshire Record Office: various documents, including
LBPlU, accounts and reports relating to original building l856-60; LF65/4,
specifications and notes on 1877-81 works; Z50/2/6-18, photographs by Fowler
Jones of the hospital at different dates.)

Listing NGR: TL2038035194

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.