This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 52.1461 / 52°8'45"N
Longitude: -0.316 / 0°18'57"W
OS Eastings: 515324
OS Northings: 251094
OS Grid: TL153510
Mapcode National: GBR H3H.JWL
Mapcode Global: VHGMS.GBS4
Entry Name: Thornton Mausoleum South of Parish Church of St Edmund or St James
Listing Date: 6 March 1985
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1113880
English Heritage Legacy ID: 37943
Location: Blunham, Central Bedfordshire, MK44
County: Central Bedfordshire
Civil Parish: Blunham
Built-Up Area: Blunham
Traditional County: Bedfordshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Bedfordshire
Church of England Parish: Blunham
Church of England Diocese: St.Albans
TL 1551 BLUNHAM PARK LANE
7/17 Thornton Mausoleum, S of
Parish Church of St Edmund
or St James
Mausoleum. Built 1805-6 by Stephen Thornton, for his father Godfrey Thornton
(d.1805) of Mogerhanger House (Bedfordshire Record Office, ABF 3/61 and 62).
Brick structure with colourwashed rendered exterior. Hipped slate roof.
Small, low building of square plan. S elevation: 4-centred arch entrance has
moulded dripstone with lion head stops. Above this is circular plaque with
moulded design of Thornton arms. Each other elevation has small circular
window with deep cut mouldings and variety of tracery.
Listing NGR: TL1532451094
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings