This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 52.0111 / 52°0'39"N
Longitude: -0.4576 / 0°27'27"W
OS Eastings: 505953
OS Northings: 235864
OS Grid: TL059358
Mapcode National: GBR G3J.YZ8
Mapcode Global: VHFQV.0QX4
Entry Name: The De Grey Mausoleum Adjoining Church of St John the Baptist
Listing Date: 23 January 1961
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1113904
English Heritage Legacy ID: 37997
Location: Flitton and Greenfield, Central Bedfordshire, MK45
County: Central Bedfordshire
Civil Parish: Flitton and Greenfield
Built-Up Area: Greenfield
Traditional County: Bedfordshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Bedfordshire
Church of England Parish: Flitton
Church of England Diocese: St.Albans
TL 0435 HIGH STREET
14/10 The De Grey Mausoleum
23.1.61 adjoining Church of Saint
John the Baptist
Mausoleum. Built 1614 by Henry Grey 5th Earl of Kent, owner of Wrest Park,
Silsoe. Extended 1705 to E by Henry Earl of Kent. Structure encased in
colourwashed cement render, with brick coping to embattled parapets and shaped
gables. Slate roofs. Cruciform plan, encasing the N and E elevations of the
chancel of the Parish Church of Saint John the Baptist (item No. 14/9). W
block, to N of chancel, is original structure. Externally rather plain, with
recessed panels articulating many elevations. W block has 2 3-light windows
under flat heads to N elevation, the E one blocked. Interior architecturally
Monuments include the following:
- Henry Grey, 5th Earl of Kent, d.1614. Polychromed alabaster 2
recumbant figures on tomb chest.
- Lady Elizabeth Talbot 1653. Polychrome marble wall monument
with Ionic columns, open segmental pediment and garlands.
- Henry Grey, 9th Earl of Kent, erected 1658. White, black and
grey marble. 2 effigies on tomb chest, with 2 Mannerist
allegorical female figures to back panel.
- Lady Jane Hart, d. 1673. Polychrome marble. Semi-reclining
figure. Monument surmounted by open pediment with shield and
- Pair of monuments to Henrietta de Grey d. 1716 and Henry de Grey
d. 1717. Grey and white marble. Semi-reclining figures flanked
by urns, in front of steep garlanded pyramids.
- Anthony de Grey, Earl of Harrold. 1726 by Dowyer. Black, white
and grey marble. Large sarcophagus surmounted by semi-reclining
figure in Roman military dress.
- Henry de Grey, Duke of Kent, and 2 wives, 1740. Black, white
and grey marble. Designed by Edward Shepherd. Central
sarcophagus surmounded by semi-relining figure of Duke (thought
to be by Rysbrack). To R, semi-reclining figure of first wife.
3 inscription panels.
- Philip, Earl of Hardwicke, d. 1790. Grey and white marble, by
Banks. Seated mourning woman with urn, in front of obelisk.
- Henrietta Frances, Countess de Grey, d. 1848. Black and white
marble. 1853 by Terence Farrell. Obelisk-shaped relief showing
mourning family around draped coffin, with soul being carried to
heaven by angel.
- Thomas Philip de Grey, Lord Lucas, d. 1859. Grey and white
marble. By Matthew Noble. Recumbant effigy on tomb chest.
The De Grey Mausoleum contains one of the finest series of funerary momuments
in the country.
Listing NGR: TL0595335864
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings