This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 52.0309 / 52°1'51"N
Longitude: -0.4588 / 0°27'31"W
OS Eastings: 505827
OS Northings: 238067
OS Grid: TL058380
Mapcode National: GBR G3B.QTJ
Mapcode Global: VHFQV.069X
Entry Name: Mausoleum Approximately 10 Metres North West of North Aisle of Church of St Mary the Virgin
Listing Date: 23 January 1961
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1113925
English Heritage Legacy ID: 38048
Location: Maulden, Central Bedfordshire, MK45
County: Central Bedfordshire
Civil Parish: Maulden
Built-Up Area: Maulden
Traditional County: Bedfordshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Bedfordshire
Church of England Parish: Maulden
Church of England Diocese: St.Albans
TL 0438 CHURCH ROAD
12/61 Mausoleum approx. 10
23.1.61 metres NW of N aisle of
Church of St Mary the
Mausoleum, containing the Bruce family remains. 1859 rebuilding, probably by
Benjamin Ferrey, of the 1656 structure erected by Thomas Bruce, 1st Earl of
Elgin. Stands on vaulted crypt, thought to be of medieval origin. Coursed
ironstone with ashlar dressings. Hipped clay tile roof with bands of
fishscale tiles. Small single-storeyed structure of elongated octagonal plan.
Diagonal buttresses to each angle. Moulded parapet has rather worn frieze. W
and E elevations each have small circular quatrefoiled window. Pointed-arched
doorway to S elevation, surmounted by carved stone crest. Interior: To N
elevation is monument to Diana, Countess of Elgin, erected 1656, thought to be
by Thomas Burman. Consists of rather architectural marble sarcophagus, with
gadrooning to middle and to surmounting basin. Carved cartouche to front and
surmounting half-figure of Lady Elgin, dressed in a shroud and pointing
heavenwards, have been removed. Round-arched niches to W and E formerly
contained marble busts (now also removed) of Thomas Bruce, 1st Earl of Elgin,
d.1663 and toward Bruce his grandson, d.1663, botn attributed to John
Bushnell. Crypt contains plain late C12 font. M.S.F. George "The Elgin
Marbles of Maulden", Bedfordshire Magazine, vol II, pp 60-68.
Listing NGR: TL0582738067
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings