History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church of St Michael

A Grade II* Listed Building in Millbrook, Central Bedfordshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.0359 / 52°2'9"N

Longitude: -0.5237 / 0°31'25"W

OS Eastings: 501362

OS Northings: 238528

OS Grid: TL013385

Mapcode National: GBR G38.6FX

Mapcode Global: VHFQS.V3Z3

Entry Name: Church of St Michael

Listing Date: 23 January 1961

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1113934

English Heritage Legacy ID: 38068

Location: Millbrook, Central Bedfordshire, MK45

County: Central Bedfordshire

Civil Parish: Millbrook

Traditional County: Bedfordshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Bedfordshire

Church of England Parish: Millbrook

Church of England Diocese: St.Albans

Find accommodation in
Ampthill

Listing Text

MILLBROOK

TL 0038 Church of Saint Michael

4/81
23.1.61

- II*

Parish church. C13, C14 and C15, with later C19 reworkings by Butterfield,
including much of window tracery. Coursed ironstone rubble with ashlar
dressings. Clay tile roofs. Chancel, nave, N and S aisles, S porch, W tower.
All parts except chancel have embattled parapets. Chancel: substantially
reworked C19. 3-light pointed-arched E window. N elevation has C15 single
light with square head. S elevation has similar C19 window and small 4-
centred arched doorway. Nave: C13 origins. 3-bay arcades to both sides, S
one C.1340, N one C15. To E of N arcade is small pointed-arched opening onto
aisle. Clerestory has 3 windows per side, all C19, of 2-lights under flat
heads. N aisle: C15. N elevation has 2 4-centred 3-light windows and
blocked 4-centred-arched doorway. Square-headed 2-light E window. S aisle:
c.1340. C15 square-headed 2-light E window. S elevation has reworked C15 3-
light window, C15 doorway, C13 lancet window (probably reset from original
nave) and C19 pointed-arched 3-light window. S porch: C19, gabled, with
pointed archway. W tower: C15. 3 stages, with set-back buttresses. Bell-
stage has 2-light pointed-arched window to each side. Small single-lights to
middle stage. C19 3-light W window to ground stage. Interior: chancel N
wall has carved wall tablet to William and Mary Huett, both d.1602, with
strapwork, flowers, emblems of death, etc, originally polychromed. Damaged
recumbant effigies below, rediscovered in churchyard 1919, probably represent
Huett and wife. S aisle has white marble monument to Georgiana Anne Fox,
d.1819 (aged 10) flanked by monuments to Lord and Lady Holland, d.1840 and
1845, all by Westmacott.


Listing NGR: TL0136238528

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.