This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 52.0164 / 52°0'58"N
Longitude: -0.6258 / 0°37'32"W
OS Eastings: 494400
OS Northings: 236218
OS Grid: SP944362
Mapcode National: GBR F1Z.JLG
Mapcode Global: VHFQR.3LH3
Entry Name: The Old House
Listing Date: 22 October 1952
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1113954
English Heritage Legacy ID: 38112
Location: Aspley Guise, Central Bedfordshire, MK17
County: Central Bedfordshire
Civil Parish: Aspley Guise
Built-Up Area: Woburn Sands
Traditional County: Bedfordshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Bedfordshire
Church of England Parish: Aspley Guise
Church of England Diocese: St.Albans
SP 9436-9536 ASPLEY GUISE CHURCH STREET
5/9 The Old House
House. Built c.1575 by Edmund Harding with early C20 reworkings. Substantial
timber frame with red brick infill, and some red brick rebuilding to fron
elevation. Ironstone plinth. Slate roofs. H-plan, 2 storeys and attics.
Front (W) elevation: off-centre C20 2-storey and attics porch gable projects
from main block, with brick ground floor and weatherboarded upper floors.
Ground and first floors have 1:1:2:1 sashes with glazing bars in moulded
surrounds. Cross-wings each have semi-circular window with radiating glazing
bars to attic. Main block has 1:2 hipped dormers with sashes. Cross-wings
each have substantial external chimney stack with 3 diagonal shafts to outer
wall, shafts of LH stack truncated. Adjoining to LH and incorporating
external stack is later block. Externally C19 brick but probably reworking
earlier (possibly C17) structure. Clay tile roof. 2 storeyed. Cambered arched
carriageway toLH 2-light casements with glazing bars. Part-glazed door under
sloping bracketed hood. Rear elevaton: cross-wings project further than at
front, and each has smaller 2-storeyed gable adjoining to inner wall,
projecting to same line. Similar sashes to front ones. Semi-circular windows
to cross-wing attics. Main block has off-centre substantial external stack of'
red brick on coursed stone base. In front of this, filling and projecting
from central recessed bay, is semi-octagonal single-storeyed addition, early
C19 but reworked C20 when canopied trelliswork verandah removed. lnterior: S
cross-wing ground floor room has early C17 panelling with fluted pilasters,
strap-worked beams, 2-leaf door in moulded archivolt with keyblock, and large
ashlar chimneypiece with composite columns and broken entablature. First
floor room above this has early C17 panelling and plasterwork ceiling of same
date showing Cupid at centre of ornate strapwork design. Other ground and
first floor rooms have C17 and C18 panelling, some of it imported. C18
staircase with carved spandrels, turned balusters, moulded handrail and
fielded panelled dado.
Woburn Sands and District Society The Story of Aspley Guise, 1980 p.14.
Listing NGR: SP9440036218
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings