This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.9888 / 51°59'19"N
Longitude: -0.6195 / 0°37'10"W
OS Eastings: 494892
OS Northings: 233158
OS Grid: SP948331
Mapcode National: GBR F2D.671
Mapcode Global: VHFQY.68VR
Entry Name: Atrium Antiques
Listing Date: 22 October 1952
Last Amended: 16 March 1987
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1114002
English Heritage Legacy ID: 38237
Location: Woburn, Central Bedfordshire, MK17
County: Central Bedfordshire
Civil Parish: Woburn
Built-Up Area: Woburn
Traditional County: Bedfordshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Bedfordshire
Church of England Parish: Woburn
Church of England Diocese: St.Albans
SP 9433-9533 WOBURN MARKET PLACE
22.10.52 No.19 (Atrium Antiques),
(formerly listed as No.12
High Street )
House, with shop to ground floor. Circa 1725, encasing an earlier timber
framed structure, reworked 1820 for 6th Duke of Bedford by George Maddocks,
who designed new shop windows for the draper then occupying the building.
Red brick. Shallow pitched slate roof with deep eaves. 3 storeys, 2 rooms
deep. Symmetrical front elevation. First and second floors each have 3
early C19 windows, central out of narrower proportions. 2nd floor central
one is blind. All are sashes with glazing bars in plain reveals under gauged
brick flat-arched heads. 2nd floor windows are of more squat proportions
than first floor ones. Shop-front takes up whole of ground floor, and is
bowed (elliptical in plan). Central part-glazed double doors surmounted by
rectangular fanlight with ornamental radiating glazing bars. The broad
flanking windows have glazing bars of same proportions as doors, and are
surmounted by ornamental glazed frieze with motif's similar to fanlight. The
frieze and fanlight designs are said to incorporate symbols of the drapery
trade in the form of buttonhole and herringbone stitches. C18 brick string
course visible at either side of shop-front. S (side) elevation retains 2
C18 flush sashes with glazing bars, one each to first and 2nd floors. These
and the ground and first floor blind windows have gauged brick segmental
heads. Ground floor has early C19 canted bay. Red brick integral stacks to
N and S walls.
Bedfordshire Magazine, vol.7, No.50, Autumn 1959, p.72.
Listing NGR: SP9489233158
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings