This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 51.9816 / 51°58'53"N
Longitude: -0.6006 / 0°36'2"W
OS Eastings: 496206
OS Northings: 232389
OS Grid: SP962323
Mapcode National: GBR F2D.QZF
Mapcode Global: VHFQY.JGV6
Entry Name: Basin Bridge
Listing Date: 23 January 1961
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1114019
English Heritage Legacy ID: 38276
Location: Woburn, Central Bedfordshire, MK17
County: Central Bedfordshire
Civil Parish: Woburn
Traditional County: Bedfordshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Bedfordshire
Church of England Parish: Woburn
Church of England Diocese: St.Albans
SP 9632-9732 WOBURN WOBURN PARK
23.1.61 Basin Bridge
Bridge Circa 1770 by Sir william Chambers for John 4th Duke of Bedford.
Substantially reworked by Humphry Repton before 1813. Ashlar and red brick.
Approximately 30 metres long and 7 metres wide, splaying out at both ends.
Separates Basin Pond from New Pond. NW elevation (towards Basin Pond): 3
semi-circular arches. Rusticated stonework, the lower courses and voussoirs
vermiculated. Terminates in large square piers of smooth ashlarwork.
Surmounted by cornice and low balustraded parapet with small piers at
intervals. Red brick vaulting under arches. SE elevation: probably
originally similar to other elevation, but only balustrade and terminal piers
visible since banking up of land and raising of water level by Repton.
Beds. Record Office: CRT 130 Woburn 33, Notes of the Basin Bridge compiled by
Marie P. G. Draper, Archivist to Bedford Estates.
Listing NGR: SP9620632389
Other nearby listed buildings