This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.9896 / 51°59'22"N
Longitude: -0.6032 / 0°36'11"W
OS Eastings: 496012
OS Northings: 233271
OS Grid: SP960332
Mapcode National: GBR F2D.BB1
Mapcode Global: VHFQY.H8H3
Entry Name: North East Block of Bloomsbury Stud, Formerly Sheep Shearing House in Park Farm Complex
Listing Date: 23 January 1961
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1114021
English Heritage Legacy ID: 38283
Location: Woburn, Central Bedfordshire, MK17
County: Central Bedfordshire
Civil Parish: Woburn
Built-Up Area: Woburn
Traditional County: Bedfordshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Bedfordshire
Church of England Parish: Woburn
Church of England Diocese: St.Albans
SP 93 SE WOBURN WOBURN PARK
3/187 NE block of Bloomsbury
23.1.61 Stud, formerly Sheep
Shearing House in Park
Former sheep shearing house belonging to Park Farm, the model farm designed
1795 (completed 1797) by Robert Salmon, resident architect and 'mechanist' to
the estate, for Francis 5th Duke of Bedford. Reworked c.1826 by William Root.
Mottled brick with slate roofs. Single-storeyed principal block is long and
rectangular with main elevation facing W. Projecting block and walled yard to
rear. Rustic Neo-classical style. W elevation: symmetrical. Central
projecting pediment on 4 freestanding Tuscan columns forms a broad portico.
Portico shelters central 4-light window, panelled door with glazed top panels
to LH, and 2-light window to RH replacing another doorway. Pediment contains
round-arched window. Flanking wings each have 3 2-light windows and semi-
circular ends. Windows are C20 replacements with plain glazing bars, the
earlier ones having ornamental geometric glazing-bars. Brick ridge stacks to
LH wing and to pediment block. Deep eaves and verges with moulded timber
cornices. The 5th Duke was deeply interested in estate management and
agricultural developments and Park Farm was intended as a place to demonstrate
new agricultural technology. The sheep shearing house can be seen in its
original form in George Garrard's depiction of the annual Woburn Sheep Shearing
(painting of 1804, engraved 1811).
Bedfordshire Record Office: R Box 818 bundle 18/23, plans and elevations of
"present and proposed" Sheep Shearing House, signed William Root, dated August
1826; J M Robinson, "Farming ona Princely Scale: Estate buildings of the 5th
and 6th Dukes of Bedford at Woburn 1787-1839", Architectural Review November
1976, pp 276-279.
Listing NGR: SP9601233271
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings