This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 52.0122 / 52°0'43"N
Longitude: -0.5826 / 0°34'57"W
OS Eastings: 497373
OS Northings: 235806
OS Grid: SP973358
Mapcode National: GBR F21.X2S
Mapcode Global: VHFQR.VPBB
Entry Name: Baptist Chapel
Listing Date: 19 December 1991
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1114059
English Heritage Legacy ID: 38377
Location: Ridgmont, Central Bedfordshire, MK43
County: Central Bedfordshire
Civil Parish: Ridgmont
Built-Up Area: Ridgmont
Traditional County: Bedfordshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Bedfordshire
Church of England Parish: Ridgmont
Church of England Diocese: St.Albans
The following buildings shall be added to the list:-
SP 9735 RIDGEMONT HIGH STREET
13/10000 Baptist Chapel
Baptist chapel. Dated 1811; a mid C19 remodelling of a Georgian
chapel. Flemish bond red brick at rear, front and sides rendered.
Slate roof with coped gable ends. Plan: Approximately square
auditorium with gallery on 3 sides, rostrum on fourth (NW) side
and entrance under gallery on opposite SE front. Italianate style
remodelling. Exterior: 2 storeys. Symmetrical 3-bay front with
large pedimental gable with acroteria and dentilled cornice with
Vitruvian scroll frieze inscribed "BAPTIST -1811-CHAPEL". Band
with crenellations. 2-light windows with margin panes and moulded
architraves on bracketed cills, those on first floor with
panelled heads, the ground floor with round arches, keyblocks and
decorated tympana. Central porch with pedimental gable,
vermiculated rustication, segmental arch with tall keyblock,
rectangular overlight with margin panes and 6-panel double doors.
Similarly treated left (SW) return with bands and 2 windows on
each floor. Brick rear (NW) end with wide gable and 2 round-
headed windows with stained glass. NE side is abutted by the
school house and manse [No 17 (qv)]. Interior: Gallery on 3 sides
supported on thin cast-iron columns and with fretted balusters
applied to gallery front. Ventilation roundels in ceiling.
Painted text over rostrum on NW wall. Rostrum has balustrade and
arched panelled back. Moulded window architraves and stained
glass in NW wall. Panelled screen to entrance under gallery. C19
benches and wall memorials.
Note: Founded in 1701 (Kelly's 1914): "Protestant dissenting
meeting house was made" before 1722 (Chapel Book in CRO x 347/6).
Chapel, school house and manse [No 17 (qv)] depicted on Enclosure
Award Map of 1797.
Listing NGR: SP9737335806
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings