This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 52.0826 / 52°4'57"N
Longitude: -0.1956 / 0°11'44"W
OS Eastings: 523739
OS Northings: 244224
OS Grid: TL237442
Mapcode National: GBR J5R.KC1
Mapcode Global: VHGN1.KXGD
Entry Name: Church of St Mary
Listing Date: 31 October 1966
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1114060
English Heritage Legacy ID: 38379
Location: Dunton, Central Bedfordshire, SG18
County: Central Bedfordshire
Civil Parish: Dunton
Built-Up Area: Dunton
Traditional County: Bedfordshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Bedfordshire
Church of England Parish: Dunton
Church of England Diocese: St.Albans
This list entry was subject to a Minor Amendment on 17/08/2015
Church of St Mary
Parish church, C14 and C15, reworked 1861 by E Browning. Coursed ironstone
rubble and cobbles, with ashlar dressings. Tower completely of ashlar.
Chancel, N vestry, nave, N and S aisles, S porch, W tower. Embattled parapets
to nave and tower, plain parapets elsewhere. Chancel: C14. 5-light pointed E
window with net tracery. N and S walls each have C19 2-light pointed window
to E and square-headed 2-light C15 window to W. S wall has C16 priest's door.
C14 pointed chancel arch. N vestry: C19, with 2-light square-headed E window.
Nave: C14, reworked C15. 4-bay pointed-arched arcades to both sides, N one
C15, S one C14. C15 clerestory with 2-light windows to each side, all under
4-centred heads. C14 tower arch. N aisle: C15.3 windows to N, one to E, all
of 3 lights and with pointed heads. 9 N doorway with blocked pointed arch
above it, probably of an earlier window. S aisle: C14. 4-light pointed-
arched E window with flowing tracery. 2 3-light S windows, W one pointed-
arched with net tracery, E one C15 with square head C15 3-light W window with
4-centred head. S porch: C14. Parvis added C15, reached by spiral stairs
projecting from NW angle and giving onto S aisle. C19 single lights to W and
E of ground stage. Pointed archway. Parvis has 2-light window to S side. W
tower: rebuilt C19 in C14 style. 3 stages. Angle buttresses. Staircase
projects from NE angle. 3-light W window to ground stage. 2-light windows to
bell-stage. Interior: roofs C19, except S aisle roof retains C15 moulded tie
beams, pierced spandrels and carved stops. Chancel has hammerbeam roof with
carved angles to hammerbeams. C14 octagonal font with 2 cinquefoiled panels
to each side. S aisle E window retains fragments of medieval glass. Chancel
has C14 cinquefoiled piscina and sedilia. S aisle has C14 image bracket to E
end, with carved human head.
Listing NGR: TL2373944224
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings