This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 52.1257 / 52°7'32"N
Longitude: -0.2189 / 0°13'8"W
OS Eastings: 522024
OS Northings: 248986
OS Grid: TL220489
Mapcode National: GBR J54.RGX
Mapcode Global: VHGMV.5T3S
Entry Name: Former Railway Engine Shed
Listing Date: 17 August 1979
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1114068
English Heritage Legacy ID: 38397
Location: Potton, Central Bedfordshire, SG19
County: Central Bedfordshire
Civil Parish: Potton
Built-Up Area: Potton
Traditional County: Bedfordshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Bedfordshire
Church of England Parish: Potton
Church of England Diocese: St.Albans
POTTON BIGGLESWADE ROAD
5/25 Former Railway Engine Shed
Former railway engine shed. Built in 1857 as the engine shed of the Sandy and
Potton Railway by Captain William Peel, third son of Sir Robert Peel. Yellow
brick with red brick dressings. Slate roof. Single storeyed rectangular
building with gabled roof. minimal classical detailing. Side elevations: 3-
bays. Each consists of rectangular recessed panel with brick dentil cornice
to head and contains sash window with glazing bars under gauged brick flat
arch. Intervening broad vertical strips of raised brickwork have red brick
dressings imitating quoins. Gable Ends: each has central recessed panel
flanked by raised strips, similar to sides. Surmounting pediments have
corbelled kneelers, red brick dentil cornices and stone coping. Central
engine doorways at each end have gauged brick rounded arches with keystones.
The locomotive which this shed housed "The Shannon", is preserved in working
order at Didcot.
Listing NGR: TL2202448986
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings