This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 52.1296 / 52°7'46"N
Longitude: -0.2061 / 0°12'21"W
OS Eastings: 522891
OS Northings: 249438
OS Grid: TL228494
Mapcode National: GBR J55.GQ9
Mapcode Global: VHGMV.CQXT
Entry Name: Group of 160 Headstones to North East, East and South East of Church of St Mary
Listing Date: 26 November 1986
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1114070
English Heritage Legacy ID: 38403
Location: Potton, Central Bedfordshire, SG19
County: Central Bedfordshire
Civil Parish: Potton
Built-Up Area: Potton
Traditional County: Bedfordshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Bedfordshire
Church of England Parish: Potton
Church of England Diocese: St.Albans
POTTON HATLEY ROAD
12/29 Group of 160 headstones to NE, E
and SE of Church of St Mary
Group of headstones in the area NE, E and SE of parish church, To N the area
extends eastwards from N porch, and northwards for approximately 10 metres.
It extends E from chancel for approximately 10 metres. To S its W boundary is
in line with chancel S door, and it extends southwards for about 8 metres.
Within this area most of the headstones date from the later C17 to the early
C19. They are notable for high relief carving on many of the stones and for
unusual decorative motifs, both features uncommon to the county limestone.
All face W unless otherwise indicated. Groups or items of particular interest
are as follows:
(A) Row of 4 stones facing E. 2 southern ones illegible; Ann, wife of
Charles Baxter, d.1748, putto head with scrolls and flowers; Charles
Baxter, d.1718(?), heart and cross-bones (?) within strapwork cartouche.
(B) Row of 5 stones; Nickolas Phips, Jnr, d.1713, inscription framed by
draperies forming a canopy, canopy surmounted by flaming urn with
flanking reclining putti; Nickolas Phips, d.1719, inscription framed by
draperies forming a canopy, surmounted by flaming urn and reclining
putti; Joan, wife of Nickolas Phipp, d.MDCCXXIX, festoon and swags
surmounted by winged putto heads.
(C) Single headstone. Later C18. Inscription illegible, framed by swags.
Angel in profile, blowing trumpet and holding palm branch, surrounded by
clouds and putto heads.
(D) Single headstone. Eliz. Cremer,d.1703. Deeply carved scrollwork to
sides. Bat-winged skull to top, flanked by cross-bones and crossed
coffin and spade.
(E) Single headstone. Edmund Halfhyde of Cambridge. Apothecary d.1719.
Domed corona from which hang draperies forming a canopy. Winged putto
heads, RH one damaged.
(F) Row of headstones immediately E of chancel. Mainly late C17 and early
C18. Many to members of Atkinson family. Characterised by deeply
carved scrollwork framing and skulls to top (some in profile), with such
additional motifs as cross-bones, crossed coffins, spades and
hourglasses and canopies formed by swags. At RH end are several late
C18 and early C19 stones of 2 types: inscribed medallion in front of
squat obelisk, flanked by palm fronds; swags forming canopy, surmounted
by angel blowing trumpet and holding palm branch, with clouds and putti
(G) 2nd row of headstones E of chancel. mainly late C17 to mid C18. Many
to Reade and Phips families. Earlier ones in high relief. Variety of
styles and motifs, eg earlier ones with skulls, cross-bones, putto
heads, swags etc., later ones with winged putto heads flanked by
hourglasses and open books.
(H) 3rd row of headstones E of chancel. Mainly early C18 to early C19.
Many to Rugeley and Merrall families. To RH end 2 early ones, William
Chambers d.1695 and Ann Chambers d.1701, so deeply carved that top parts
almost sculpted in the round, former with skull, latter with winged
putto head, skulls and swags. Several early-mid C18 stones depict
weeping reclining putti, holding torches and partially wrapped in
draperies of canopy above them. Late C18 - early C19 stones taller than
average. All have circular inscribed medallion suspended in front of
squat obelisk, flanked by flaming urns and palm fronds.
(I) 4th row E of chancel. Consists of mid C18 to early C19 headstones of 2
types. Earlier ones show weeping reclining putti holding torches and
partially wrapped in draperies of canopy above them. Later ones have
circular inscribed medallion suspended in front of squat obelisk,
flanked by flaming urns and palm fronds.
(J) Row of 3 headstones. Richard Livett 1761(?), Rowland Livett, d.1831,
and Susan Livett d.1821. All have swagged draperies forming canopies.
(K) Row of 3 headstones. John Ward, Brazier d.1711(?), Elizabeth Warde,
d.1712(?), and Thomas Warde, d.1729(?). All have large lettering, with
scrollwork and foliate surrounds.
(L) Row of 3 headstones. Ann Kitchin, d.1795(?). John Kitchin, d.1790,
Gilbert Kitchin d.1786(?). All have winged putto heads and foliage.
TL 2249 POTTON HATLEY ROAD
12/30 St Mary's House (formerly listed as
3.10.83 former Vicarage)
House, formerly a vicarage. C18, extended and reworked C19. Original
structure red brick, some flared, with lighter red brick dressings, and clay
tile roofs. Later addition in red and yellow brick, partly rendered, with
slate roof. Original block is 2 storeyed, with hipped roof. Later additions
to E form plan 2 rooms deep. W elevation: 5 window facade, first floor and 2
LH ground floor ones sashes with glazing bars. Ground floor has projecting
rectangular bay with 2 sashes with glazing bars. Attic has 2 box dormers
containing sashes with glazing bars. Central 6-panel door surmounted by semi-
circular fanlight. Simple round-arched surround with projecting keyblock C20
brick open porch. C19 chimney stack to rear, at junction with C19 block.
Listing NGR: TL2289149438
Other nearby listed buildings