History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

St John's Homes

A Grade II Listed Building in Kempston, Bedford

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.1168 / 52°7'0"N

Longitude: -0.4988 / 0°29'55"W

OS Eastings: 502883

OS Northings: 247562

OS Grid: TL028475

Mapcode National: GBR G2B.6Q8

Mapcode Global: VHFQF.92M2

Entry Name: St John's Homes

Listing Date: 17 May 1984

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1114179

English Heritage Legacy ID: 36728

Location: Kempston, Bedford, MK42

County: Bedford

Civil Parish: Kempston

Built-Up Area: Kempston

Traditional County: Bedfordshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Bedfordshire

Church of England Parish: Kempston

Church of England Diocese: St.Albans

Find accommodation in
Stagsden

Listing Text


TL 04NW KEMPTON URBAN BEDFORD ROAD

2/91 St John's Homes
-
- II

Almshouses. Founded 1881 by Mrs Anne Jane Charles Williamson, for members of
the Church of England. Red brick structure, ground floor clad in colour
washed plaster with red brick dressings, first floor hung with decorative
tiles, some mock timber framing to projecting gables. Clay tile roofs. 2-
storeyed 5-bay main block, with single storeyed single-bay blocks to W and E,
the latter with hipped roofs. Neo-vernacular style. To centre of main block
is unusual bay window, canted to LH side only, overhung by large jettied
gabled projection, itself with jettied attic. First floor has projecting 4-
light window on brackets. Attic has crucifix to centre, and below it the
letter "A.M.D.C." incised in bressumer. First floor bressumer incised with
"In memoriam". Below first floor window are 4 plasterwork panels, 2 central
ones with coats of arms, outer ones with "A.D." and '1881". To each end of
main block is canted bay surmounted by smaller gabled and jettied first floor
with 3-light projecting window. 2 recessed bays each have 3-light casement
under cambered head to ground floor, and 2 small windows and one gabled
projecting 2-light window to first floor. One 3-light window to each side
wing. Frost windows are casements, upper part only with glazing bars. Coors,
all of 6 panels with top pair glazed, are arranged 1-2-1-1-2-1 overall, and
have tiled porch canopies. Variety of tall multiple stacks. Bargeboards to
gables. Anne Williamson, herself a widow, inhabited the central first floor
flat.


Listing NGR: TL0288347562

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.