This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 52.1637 / 52°9'49"N
Longitude: -0.4712 / 0°28'16"W
OS Eastings: 504666
OS Northings: 252810
OS Grid: TL046528
Mapcode National: GBR G1S.7PK
Mapcode Global: VHFQ1.SW86
Entry Name: Clapham Park House
Listing Date: 27 August 1987
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1114250
English Heritage Legacy ID: 36898
Location: Clapham, Bedford, MK41
Civil Parish: Clapham
Traditional County: Bedfordshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Bedfordshire
Church of England Parish: Clapham
Church of England Diocese: St.Albans
CLAPHAM GREEN LANE
TL 05 SW
9/120 Clapham Park House
Large house.1872 by John Usher of Bedford, for James Howard M.P. for Bedford,
iron-master and co-founder of the Britannia Works. Dark red brick Gothic
mansion with stone dressings and banded plain and fishscale tile roof. Two
storeys and attics. Narrow sash windows generally in groups of two or three.
Most retain their wooden blind canopies. North entrance elevation has central
slightly projecting gabled section with porte-cochere which has a vaulted
ceiling, arched openings and corner buttresses, cornice and parapet with
frieze of recessed diamond pattern. Recessed doorway has side panels of blue
and white glazed tiles by M.J. Cooper of Maidenhead. The central gable is
flanked by two gabled dormers. Stone bands at window head level. West front
has projecting gabled wings to left and right. Left hand one has two storey
rectangular bay. Right hand wing has two storey canted bay with small attic
hipped roof bay built into the top. Central gabled dormer. South garden
front has full height large central canted bay with polygonal roof and three
gabled dormers. To the left of the bay is an octagonal turret supported on
first floor stone canopy on brick columns. This rests on balcony on
projecting ground floor bay. Interesting and asymmetrical east elevation.
Central circular staircase turret with three stepped leaded casements. To the
left of this is a projecting gable with a small bell turret. To the east
extends a range of one storey ancillary service buildings including an
octagonal game larder. The interior remains virtually intact. There is a
oak staircase with wrought iron flower motifs between the balusters. The hall
is lit by a lantern supported on an arcade of Bath stone with red Mansfield
stone columns (now painted white). The arcade is blind along one wall. Some
of the ground floor rooms retain oak floors inlaid in geometric patterns.
Most of the original carved oak doors remain, and some moulded skirting
boards. Many of the windows have interior surrounds of slender columns
supporting Tudor roses.
Listing NGR: TL0466652810
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings