This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 52.0324 / 52°1'56"N
Longitude: -0.4919 / 0°29'30"W
OS Eastings: 503552
OS Northings: 238180
OS Grid: TL035381
Mapcode National: GBR G39.GG1
Mapcode Global: VHFQT.F59T
Entry Name: Avenue House
Listing Date: 17 July 1951
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1114436
English Heritage Legacy ID: 37342
Location: Ampthill, Central Bedfordshire, MK45
County: Central Bedfordshire
Civil Parish: Ampthill
Built-Up Area: Ampthill
Traditional County: Bedfordshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Bedfordshire
Church of England Parish: Ampthill
Church of England Diocese: St.Albans
774 CHURCH STREET
No 20 (Avenue House)
TL 0338 1/15 17.07.51.
The C18 residence of the local brewer, John Morris, whose buildings carried
out by Holland influenced local work for many years. 2 distinct abutting
sections: the western built in 1775 and re-modelled by Holland, when he
added the eastern in 1794.
Western section: 2 storeys of brick capped by shallow stone cornice decorated
with triglyphs below a plain reveal. Stone cills. 4 steps lead to central
doorway in massive stone porch built in 1794. Tuscan columns support and
architrave enriched with carving by George Garrard of foliage looped swags
across rosettes and hanging from ribboned bows, beneath a moulded classical
cornice. The door: 6 panels (11 fielded) beneath delicate fanlight stand
between plain reveals of a round headed alcove, the spandrels of which
are filled with a fluted fan motif.
Eastern section, slightly uphill and of taller proportions, so that the
levels of the windows do not follow those of the western section. Brick
(2 storeys) with deeply projecting stone cornice, on whose soffit are groups
of massed guttae, below a similar plant parapet and coping. Broad stone
band above the ground floor windows and at same level as top member of
stone porch in western section. 4 windows.
Sir Albert Richardson, PRA, lived here 1919-64. See VCH page 268; CL.
Nos 12 to 32 (even) form a group.
Listing NGR: TL0355238180
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings