History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

12-16, Newnham Street

A Grade II Listed Building in Castle, Bedford

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.1373 / 52°8'14"N

Longitude: -0.4622 / 0°27'43"W

OS Eastings: 505345

OS Northings: 249896

OS Grid: TL053498

Mapcode National: GBR G1Z.XNG

Mapcode Global: VHFQ7.YJ1W

Entry Name: 12-16, Newnham Street

Listing Date: 18 April 1991

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1114527

English Heritage Legacy ID: 35594

Location: Bedford, MK40

County: Bedford

Electoral Ward/Division: Castle

Built-Up Area: Bedford

Traditional County: Bedfordshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Bedfordshire

Church of England Parish: Bedford St Peter de Merton with St Cuthbert

Church of England Diocese: St.Albans

Find accommodation in
Bedford

Listing Text

The following buildings shall be added:

TL 0449 & TL0549 Bedford Newnham Street

1/203 Nos 12-16
(even)
II

Row of three houses. 1798, for James Whittingstall and William
Long (brewers). Red brick in flemish bond; plain tile roofs;
brick stacks. 2 storeys, 6 bays; each house of 2 bays and with
gabled rear wing, that of no.16 rebuilt, those of nos 12 and 14
heightened. Plinth: No 12 has old 6-panel door on left in
architrave with 4-pane overlight, dentilled cornice, and
bracketed hood; nos 14 and 16 have late C20 doors,on left and
right respectively, each with overlight and late C20 bracketed
hood. Nos 12 and 14 each have a mid-late C19 bay window; no 16
small-pane bowed window on brick plinth. On 1st floor nos 12
and 16 have original window openings with flat gauged brick
arches, no 16 having original small-pane side-sliding sashes, no
12 with replacement small-pane 2-light casements; no 14 has upvc
windows in concrete rendered surrounds with tile sills. Two ridge
stacks between houses. Interior: Nos 12 and 14 retain original
board doors; cupboards, and stairs, no 14 retaining closed string
balustrade with stick balusters and ball-finialed square newel.
Continuous roof space.
Bedfordshire County Planning Department, Bedford: Aspects of Town
Origins and Development, Bedfordshire Historic Environment No 2,
fig 8 indenture accompanying deeds no 12. Terrier of St Cuthberts
Church, 1822.


Listing NGR: TL0534549896

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.