History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Strict Baptist Chapel

A Grade II Listed Building in Dunstable, Central Bedfordshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.8845 / 51°53'4"N

Longitude: -0.5224 / 0°31'20"W

OS Eastings: 501796

OS Northings: 221687

OS Grid: TL017216

Mapcode National: GBR G50.SW9

Mapcode Global: VHFRC.WWPR

Entry Name: Strict Baptist Chapel

Listing Date: 14 September 1989

Last Amended: 8 November 1989

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1114604

English Heritage Legacy ID: 35778

Location: Dunstable, Central Bedfordshire, LU6

County: Central Bedfordshire

Civil Parish: Dunstable

Built-Up Area: Dunstable

Traditional County: Bedfordshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Bedfordshire

Church of England Parish: Dunstable

Church of England Diocese: St.Albans

Find accommodation in
Dunstable

Listing Text

In the entry for:

TL 0121 NE St Mary's Street

1/134 Strict Baptist Chapel


the address shall be amended to read:
St Mary's Gate
Strict Baptist Chapel


The following building shall be added:

TL 0121 NE ST MARY'S STREET

1/134 Strict Baptist Chapel

II


Strict Baptist Chapel. Built 1849 on site of earlier building. Flemish bond
yellow brick; gabled slate roof; brick rear end stack. Classical style. Gabled
3-bay front framed by clasped pilasters and dentilled cornice; gauged red brick
semi-circular arches over 30-pane sashes flanking blind window set above classi-
cal doorway with pilasters and cornice. 3-bay side walls with similar sashes to
front and flat brick arches over 2-light casements with glazing bars to rear and
door to rear left. Interior: complete set of furnishings with carved bench ends
to pews, and gallery to three sides with panelled balcony fronts and dados and
reached by two straight-flight stairs with winders; box pews to front flank
pulpit with turned balusters and fret-cut brackets to steps. Monuments: wall
tablets to Lawrence Chesher, Minister (d.1819) and wife Mary (d.1817) and to
Mary Hudrial of Totternhoe (d.1808).
History: the first meeting-house in St Mary's Street was built in 1708.


Listing NGR: TL0179621687

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.