History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Baptist Union Church

A Grade II Listed Building in South, Luton

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.8759 / 51°52'33"N

Longitude: -0.4151 / 0°24'54"W

OS Eastings: 509202

OS Northings: 220891

OS Grid: TL092208

Mapcode National: GBR TSX.K3

Mapcode Global: VHFRM.R3FR

Entry Name: Baptist Union Church

Listing Date: 10 September 1954

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1114612

English Heritage Legacy ID: 35793

Location: Luton, LU1

County: Luton

Electoral Ward/Division: South

Built-Up Area: Luton

Traditional County: Bedfordshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Bedfordshire

Church of England Parish: Luton

Church of England Diocese: St.Albans

Find accommodation in
Luton

Listing Text

CASTLE STREET
1.
5123 (east side)

Baptist Union Church
TL 0920 4/1 10.9.54
II

2.
1836-44 in neo-classical style. Stucco with false ashlar joints. Slate roofs.
Symmetrical plan externally giving impression of nave, small transepts and
chancel, though internally a non-conformist hall. Side entrances project
from north and south sides, also containing gallery stairs. East end beyond
these is slightly wider than west end of chapel. Western elevation is a symmetrical
classical design. There is a pediment containing a modern cartouche bearing
the words UNION CHAPEL. Dentil band and frieze beneath. Three bays below.
Central one is reached from raised platform with stairs to either side. It
is deeply recessed, with windows in reveals, and pediment over is supported
on 2 Doric columns. Modern double doors, doorway with architrave under pediment
with small side quadrant wings, all supported on 2 side brackets. Doorway
is flanked by 2 tall windows in plain reveals, and one window over. The 2
side bays are defined by full length plain pilasters. Each bay has 2 windows,
with moulded architrave and cills, the upper tall and having pediments as
over the door, and the lower more squat. The north and south elevations are
similar. Each is of 7 bays, 4 at the west end, 2 at the east, divided by
the single bay of the side entrance. Three storeys in shallow round-headed
recesses. First and second floor sash windows with glazing bars in plain
reveals and with cills in each bay. Second floor round-headed with radial
glazing bars in head. Entrance and stairs projecting bay is 2 storey with
one window, as first floor types; 6 panelled door up 2 steps, in moulded
architrave with cornice over on foliated and scrolled brackets. East end
is wrapped round by large Sunday school building of 1892, not included in
the listing. Well proportioned interior of chapel has lobby at west end before
main tall. This has plain ceiling; panelled gallery runs around all 4 sides
on slim plain iron columns. Second floor gallery across west end only, also
on columns, and with delicate foliate cast iron railings. Pews are later
C19.


Listing NGR: TL0920220891

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.