This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.8787 / 51°52'43"N
Longitude: -0.4102 / 0°24'36"W
OS Eastings: 509532
OS Northings: 221204
OS Grid: TL095212
Mapcode National: GBR TTP.4S
Mapcode Global: VHFRM.V10N
Entry Name: Parish Church of St Mary
Listing Date: 10 September 1954
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1114615
English Heritage Legacy ID: 35798
Location: Luton, LU1
Electoral Ward/Division: South
Built-Up Area: Luton
Traditional County: Bedfordshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Greater Manchester
Church of England Parish: Luton
Church of England Diocese: St.Albans
5123 Parish Church of
TL 0921 2/15 10.9.54
Large predominantly C14 and C15 parish church with some earlier survivals,
much restored by Street 1865-85. Flint and stone, some clunch, chequerwork.
Plan consists of west tower, 5 bay nave with north and south aisles and north
and south porches attached, crossing, transepts and chancel flanked by Wenlock
Chapel to north and Hoo chapel to south. Vestry between chancel and Wenlock
Chapel. Most elements of church have embattled parapets.
Three stage tower with octagonal angle turrets at top; moulded cornice with
gargoyles at corners; cinquefoil lights in belfry windows under 2-centred
arch; staged pairs of buttresses at corners with canopied statue niches;
restored C14 west doorway and window; tall eastern arch to nave. Western
bay of nave has C14 octagonal baptistery with font of similar date. Aisle
windows mostly C15 3 light under segmental arches; clerestory windows 5 each
side, of 2 cinquefoiled lights under square heads. Both porches 2 storey,
the southern buttressed and with a semi-circular stair turret in the corner
with the aisle. C15 Wenlock Chapel contains several monuments, brasses and
recessed tombs, to members of Wenlock and Rotheram family. Vestry has C14
ribbed stone vault. Late C15 Barnard chantry lies on the south side of the
Many other memorials and details of note.
Listing NGR: TL0953221204
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings