This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.8846 / 51°53'4"N
Longitude: -0.4124 / 0°24'44"W
OS Eastings: 509365
OS Northings: 221857
OS Grid: TL093218
Mapcode National: GBR TTB.NF
Mapcode Global: VHFRF.SWVP
Entry Name: High Town Methodist Church Hall
Listing Date: 20 February 1981
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1114628
English Heritage Legacy ID: 35828
Location: Luton, LU2
Electoral Ward/Division: High Town
Built-Up Area: Luton
Traditional County: Bedfordshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Bedfordshire
Church of England Parish: Luton St Matthew, High Town
Church of England Diocese: St.Albans
HIGH TOWN ROAD
5123 High Town Methodist
TL 0921 2/2
Built as chapel and dated 1852 in simplified classical style with some Italinate
touches. Unusual for the use of brick architectural polychromy on front.
Three bay facade with flanking of brown brick framed by stock brick slender
giant pilasters, cornice and parapet, all in red brick. The central brown
brick entrance bay rises up between the flanking entablatures to be surmounted
by blind attic with triangular pediment. Flanking bays have one window each
floor contained in one vertical reveal up to flat gauged arch and with Doric
apron panel between storeys. Central entrance of coupled round headed doorways
with heavy impost mouldings, frieze and cornice with triangular pediment.
Tall round headed window above, rising up with attic and with string course
from flanking entablatures broken back and arched over. Simple side elevations
with tall narrow round headed windows set in panels framed by shallow red
brick piers; corbelled eaves.
Listing NGR: TL0936521857
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings