History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Bury Park United Reformed Church

A Grade II Listed Building in Biscot, Luton

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.8851 / 51°53'6"N

Longitude: -0.4264 / 0°25'35"W

OS Eastings: 508398

OS Northings: 221896

OS Grid: TL083218

Mapcode National: GBR TR5.71

Mapcode Global: VHFRF.KWF8

Entry Name: Bury Park United Reformed Church

Listing Date: 20 February 1981

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1114638

English Heritage Legacy ID: 35848

Location: Luton, LU1

County: Luton

Electoral Ward/Division: Biscot

Built-Up Area: Luton

Traditional County: Bedfordshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Bedfordshire

Church of England Parish: Luton All Saints with St Peter

Church of England Diocese: St.Albans

Find accommodation in
Luton

Listing Text

WALDECK ROAD
1.
5123 Bury Park United
Reformed Church
TL 0821 1/1
II

2.
1895-1903 by G Baines in neo-decorated and perpendicular style, on corner
site. Fine light red brick, stone dressings, slate roofs. Schoolroom to
east built first, followed by cruciform church. Cambered tower on corner,
with short spire and weathervane, short diagonal angle buttresses; moulded
parapet and plain corner turrets; cornice band with rosettes and gargoyles
on buttresses; four light louvred window in each face; lancet windows, plain
stone bands, door on west side. West front has large gable with decorated
apex over large seven light window. Single storey porch of half hexagonal
plan with parapet gabled over main door; four buttresses with empty niches.
Small turret to south echoing main tower.
North elevation has similar large gabled window and two two-light square headed
windows underneath. It is flanked by two small turrets. Single storey link
to schoolroom at east having three lancet windows in coped gable over porch
entrance. Interior of church has four large pointed arches springing from
foliated capitals on square marble columns; ribbed ceiling. Semi circular
pew arrangement. Panelling behind organ with same ogee motif as used extensively
in window tracery. Some plain Art Nouveau style glass.


Listing NGR: TL0839821896

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.