This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.8775 / 51°52'38"N
Longitude: -0.4193 / 0°25'9"W
OS Eastings: 508908
OS Northings: 221059
OS Grid: TL089210
Mapcode National: GBR TS8.CN
Mapcode Global: VHFRM.P26K
Entry Name: Ceylon Baptist Church and Hall
Listing Date: 31 January 1980
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1114641
English Heritage Legacy ID: 35853
Location: Luton, LU1
Electoral Ward/Division: South
Built-Up Area: Luton
Traditional County: Bedfordshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Bedfordshire
Church of England Parish: Luton St Saviour
Church of England Diocese: St.Albans
5123 Ceylon Baptist
Church and Hall
TL 0821 1/5 31.1.80
The chapel was built in 1848, refronted 1886 and with church hall added to
rear in 1908, architect Barnes. The chapel of 1848 is of 3 bays, red brick
with rubber brick dressings. to large pointed arch panels containing tall 3
light Y tracery side windows. Moulded string to frieze and moulded brick
parapet cornice. Three bay buttressed screen front of 1886 when the church
was slightly lengthened. Darker red brick with stone dressings. The buttresses
are surmounted by tall slender stone pinnacles with crocket finials. Parapets
over flanking bays, steep gable with coping crocket finial over large panel
traceried central window. Central doorway, moulded 3 centred arch panelled
spandrells, dropped hood mould. Two light windows to flanking bays with
similar tracery details. The church interior is as furnished in the 1880s
with curved corner gallery with serpentine front decorated cast iron balustrade;
pews, pulpet desk and organ all good joinery and turned work of this date.
Barnes's addition of the church hall in 1908 is a competent Arts and Crafts
perpendicular essay with a broad gabled west front coped with shaped kneelers
and with hall lit by large 7 light panel traceried window on first floor.
Red brick with stone dressings and band courses. Freely handled curved ogee
theme to window leads and tracery. The broad hall window is flanked by shallow
banded buttresses breaking through gable with shaped stone copings and openwork.
Arts and Crafts iron finials. Two storey annexe to north projecting with
splayed entrance return, same window type; flat eaves on wrought iron brackets.
South side elevation has 7 bays of tall 3 light Perp derived first floor windows,
plain ground floor. Leadwork to down pipes. Interior has offices and rooms
on ground floor with main hall on first floor; a substantial 7 bay hall running
the length of the building. Hammerbeam timber with wrought iron centre tier,
pitch pine matchboarding. Lively colours to Arts and Crafts stained glass
in pseudo cartouche and floral patterns. Dado panelling capped by band of
blue-green ceramic initialled donor tiles.
Listing NGR: TL0890821059
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings