This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.8516 / 51°51'5"N
Longitude: -0.3976 / 0°23'51"W
OS Eastings: 510462
OS Northings: 218212
OS Grid: TL104182
Mapcode National: GBR H6W.VP6
Mapcode Global: VHFRN.2Q4F
Entry Name: Luton Hoo Stables, Including Frontage Range and Rear Courtyard Buildings, Incorporating Stable Master's House
Listing Date: 3 February 1967
Last Amended: 18 May 1998
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1114713
English Heritage Legacy ID: 36037
Location: Hyde, Central Bedfordshire, LU1
County: Central Bedfordshire
Civil Parish: Hyde
Traditional County: Bedfordshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Bedfordshire
Church of England Parish: Luton
Church of England Diocese: St.Albans
TL 11 NW HYDE LUTON HOO ESTATE
967/44/221 Luton Hoo Stables, including
frontage range and rear courtyard
03.02.67 buildings, incorporating stable
Stable courtyard. c.1760, with alterations and additions c.1830 and late C19. By Robert Adam, with later work possibly by Smirke. Colourwashed rendered tofront elevations, painted and plain brickwork elsewhere. Hipped roofs with Welsh slate roof coverings. Courtyard plan, with earlier 2-storeyed frontage range, 2-storey house (now 2 dwellings) opposite the entrance archway, and late C19 single storeyed stables carriage house and workshops enclosing the courtyard. FRONT (west) ELEVATION: 2 storeyed symmetrical front, 1:3:1:3:1 bays, with centre and end bays with pediments and slightly advanced, and with lean- tos of differing designs, possibly additions, to each end bay. Central carriage entrance below bell cupola,with tripartite semi-circular window above ftalt lintol. Flanking the entrance are paired Roman Doric pilasters. 3-bay ranges to either side with stacked 6 over 6 pane sash windows. Pedimented end bays with central recessed blind arch with first floor tripartite semi-cicular windows. Inserted garage door to north end bay. COURTYARD. EAST ELEVATION: ground floor, formerly arcaded, now with 3 C20 garage doors to north side and 8 over 8 pane sashes to south. First floor windows to both sides are similarly detailed sashes. COURTYARD. WEST ELEVATION: facing the archway of the frontage range, an early C19 T-plan 2-storeyed house, with external detailing in colourwashed render designed to reflect that of the stable block frontage. Symmetrical elevation, 1:3:1 bays, the central 3 bays beneath a pediment, the outer bays with hip-ended roofs and ridge stacks. Pilasters define the 3 sections of the facade, and string courses link the cills of stacked 3 over 3 pane sash windows. Doorway with 3 over 1 panel door beneath a 4-pane overlight. Door and window openings with moulded surrounds. Flanking the house are late C19 single storey ranges in painted brick. The range to the north is L-shaped, and is made up of individual stables, each with a wide doorway and high level minature sash window, 8 over 8 panes. To the south, a futher range of single storey stables and attached workshop, and at right angles, and forming the southern boundary of the stableyard, a taller, hipped roofed carriage house with 3 double doorways. Some stables retain vertical boarding to lower walls with green glazed tiling above, and corner mangers.
Bibliography:5900 Register of Parks and Gardens of Special Historic Interest in England (English Heritage), Part 2 Bedfordshire.
Listing NGR: TL1046218212
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings